News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

So much for being financially responsible...

I bring it home tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to strip and repaint right away or use it for a while first. It's in pretty good shape though. There are only two apprentice marks on the table.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 21, 2018, 04:38:08 PM

I bring it home tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to strip and repaint right away or use it for a while first. It's in pretty good shape though. There are only two apprentice marks on the table.

Mazel tov! What a beauty. Have you decided on a name for the new baby?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I'll probably call it the 220, at least until something just feels right.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

I want one!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

jj did you ever get your forge working?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2018, 05:51:15 PM
jj did you ever get your forge working?

I decided to wait until it cools down a bit more. I have the old propane tank for use as the body on standby. Might go ahead and pull the valve and cut the openings this week depending on the weather.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on August 21, 2018, 05:50:48 PM

I want one!

I'll be in the market for a lathe next. Then a mill and if I can find the right deal a tool and cutter grinder... yeah, being financially responsible isn't going to work out to well... :felix:

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 22, 2018, 02:16:11 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 21, 2018, 05:50:48 PM

I want one!

I'll be in the market for a lathe next. Then a mill and if I can find the right deal a tool and cutter grinder... yeah, being financially responsible isn't going to work out to well... :felix:

You'll go through a natural binge phase then settle down.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

These are the tools of your trade — one has to invest money to make money.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 22, 2018, 08:51:27 AM

These are the tools of your trade — one has to invest money to make money.

Pay someone else to dig your holes - or invest in a shovel?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

That's a lovely bit of kit!  Envy!

Icarus

JJ that's and old, really old. Delta Rockwell drill press.  It is made of sterner stuff.  I like it.  I have a 65 year old Delta Rockwell 14 inch band saw that I value above some of the visually, nearly identical stuff in the big box stores.  My old band saw was not made in China and neither was your nifty drill press.

Call me a xenophobe if you like.  The old time US made stuff was made of durable stuff. 

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on August 24, 2018, 01:00:59 AM
I have a 65 year old Delta Rockwell 14 inch band saw that I value above some of the visually, nearly identical stuff in the big box stores.

How do you make a dog go meow?

Freeze over night then put him through the band saw meowwwww.

You have to love the classics.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

Had an interesting one today. The tractor had been sitting for eight months and wouldn't turn over. Replacing the ignition switch, starter and solenoid were all in the plans. Turns out... the ground side bettery cable had failed. It was acting like a circuit breaker, heating up when the engine was cranked. There were three strands of that big cable still intact and the power side isn't too far behind.

The trusty test light told the tale and the multimeter confirmed. I did spend a few minutes looking for a breaker under the cowl though. It wasn't obvious where the ground side cable was connected so I didn't perform a voltage drop test right off the bat.

Tank

A satisfying and cheap solution!