News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on September 11, 2018, 04:10:13 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 11, 2018, 01:37:05 AM
If you're in lovely California then your selection of toxic chemicals is a bit more limited. They stop shipments of the good chlorinated brake cleaner at the border. 3N high power - mostly acetone and benzene - works fairly well but DO NOT use it on bell hornets if you're unlucky enough to have those evil bastards where you live. Hit them and they just get maaaaaaad... On bad one land on my crotch a few weeks ago. My heart stopped for the duration of its visit.

:-\ Can't even buy MEK in this state anymore. You can still buy acetone, since it is not a producer of photochemical smog. In fact, if one wants to buy paint thinner, it's going to be some soup that is mostly comprised of acetone. Go figure.

I wonder how much ketone is released due to industrial cleaning compared to that produced by the natural process of ketosis in the world's untold billions of organic metabolisms?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2018, 04:16:56 AM
If you're in lovely California then your selection of toxic chemicals is a bit more limited. They stop shipments of the good chlorinated brake cleaner at the border. 3N high power - mostly acetone and benzene - works fairly well but DO NOT use it on bell hornets if you're unlucky enough to have those evil bastards where you live. Hit them and they just get maaaaaaad... On bad one land on my crotch a few weeks ago. My heart stopped for the duration of its visit.

:-\ Can't even buy MEK in this state anymore. You can still buy acetone, since it is not a producer of photochemical smog. In fact, if one wants to buy paint thinner, it's going to be some soup that is mostly comprised of acetone. Go figure.

I wonder how much ketone is released due to industrial cleaning compared to that produced by the natural process of ketosis in the world's untold billions of organic metabolisms?

It's probably pretty low in comparison. Trace amounts versus train loads. It'd be interesting to see a comparison.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 11, 2018, 04:22:31 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 11, 2018, 04:16:56 AM

It's probably pretty low in comparison. Trace amounts versus train loads. It'd be interesting to see a comparison.

I fesr you are right.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

They're knocking away at the wall next door, at almost 9 pm, and have been doing so for the past 3 hours. I hate it that they decide to do that when I'm home and trying to work on my project! :Gaah:

Bang, Bang, Bang...

Edited to add: They're drilling now. ::) Great.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

So you're saying that you wouldn't like having me as a neighbor?!  ;D

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

^ I'll bet that they are Russian conspirators who are drilling and digging secret underground passages  That's why they are doing it at night.

xSilverPhinx

Thankfully now at quarter to 10 pm the banging and drilling has stopped.

Quote from: jumbojak on September 12, 2018, 01:25:55 AM
So you're saying that you wouldn't like having me as a neighbor?!  ;D

:lol: I don't know, JJ. How likely are you to soundproof the area you drill and hammer away in?  ;D

Quote from: Icarus on September 12, 2018, 01:26:23 AM
^ I'll bet that they are Russian conspirators who are drilling and digging secret underground passages  That's why they are doing it at night.

Yes, that must be it. They must be after the chocolate granola muffins that are in the oven. They'll have to get past me, first.

jumbojak

It really depends on what I'm messing with. I do try to be considerate of others late at night. Sometimes I'll get started on a quiet project or task and get sucked in. What started as a quick cut with a hand saw and a few taps on a chisel escalates to a running air compressor and impact tools. I have also been known to switch from a rubber deadblow hammer to a mini sledge when something refused to move. I don't have an anvil at the house, thankfully.

For what it's worth I really don't notice that things have gotten out of hand and will gladly - well, maybe not gladly - stop what I'm doing when the focus on causing is pointed out. I need a detached shop far, faaaar away from other humans. Then I can have lights and make as much noise as I need to. Sometimes the loud way is the best way.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 12, 2018, 02:05:45 AM
It really depends on what I'm messing with. I do try to be considerate of others late at night. Sometimes I'll get started on a quiet project or task and get sucked in. What started as a quick cut with a hand saw and a few taps on a chisel escalates to a running air compressor and impact tools. I have also been known to switch from a rubber deadblow hammer to a mini sledge when something refused to move. I don't have an anvil at the house, thankfully.

For what it's worth I really don't notice that things have gotten out of hand and will gladly - well, maybe not gladly - stop what I'm doing when the focus on causing is pointed out. I need a detached shop far, faaaar away from other humans. Then I can have lights and make as much noise as I need to. Sometimes the loud way is the best way.

I hear ya (not literally :P). I like working at night, there are fewer distractions and it seems like getting into a 'flow state' where you are completely immersed and focused on what you are doing is easier than during the day. Pity days are so draining...

But in my case, the worse complaint I'll get is that I'm 'typing too loud'.  ;D

jumbojak

Insomnia is what gets me going at night. And... we've come full circle to grumpiness...

xSilverPhinx

Indeed.

It's really late now (or is it really early? I can never tell during these ungodly hours) and here I am:

Buddy

I took my car to the dealership for its first service. Get all the way there for them to tell me that they did it when I got the recall work done in July. I just drove 100 miles for a car wash.

Actual picture of me sitting in the dealership now
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Bluenose

Quote from: Buddy on September 12, 2018, 07:45:12 PM
I took my car to the dealership for its first service. Get all the way there for them to tell me that they did it when I got the recall work done in July. I just drove 100 miles for a car wash.

Actual picture of me sitting in the dealership now

Well, I understand the grumpiness about them not telling you, but on the other hand you got to drive a hundred miles in your grouse little car!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

If the work wasn't listed on your invoice I would be highly suspicious. Are you paying for these services or was it rolled into the sale? The Euro brands do some weird shit.

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on September 13, 2018, 12:27:15 AM
If the work wasn't listed on your invoice I would be highly suspicious. Are you paying for these services or was it rolled into the sale? The Euro brands do some weird shit.

I didn't pay for anything. The original work was a recall and I get free service for the first 36k miles. That includes oil change, oil filter, air filter, fluid top off and brand new wipers all around. Plus they wash, wax, and vacuum my car.

It probably was listed on the invoice, but again, wasn't paying so I didn't look. I'm not super upset about it, just mildly annoyed.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.