News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Insomnia

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 07, 2019, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Seems we have some insomniacs here.  This is both good and bad...:teadrink:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Sleep is overrated anyway.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on October 12, 2019, 01:07:26 AM
Sleep is overrated anyway.

I used to think so, and resented the amount of time that I spent sleeping that could be used for doing something- "the tyranny of sleep". Now that I've amassed my fortune,  ::) I treasure my sleep. I'm a MUCH more amiable person these days, even if I'm an old man who has to use a "handicapped" parking space.  :smilenod:

xSilverPhinx

I also treasure my sleep. I generally sleep poorly so every hour of good sleep counts.

I had a bad night yesterday because of the heat which reached about 40 degrees C during the day, and the ac in my room is broken. All I had was a table fan, which would throw hot air on me until finally my room cooled down enough.

So I was grumpy this morning but today it's about 25 degrees so I took a power nap after lunch and feel ready to take on the world again! :P

jumbojak

Most people think you need to eat and sleep every day. I've learned over the last few months that eating is fairly optional. You really don't need to eat every day, but sleep... That's something you can't do without. You think you can but everything suffers for it. I wish I had a way to knock myself out at night. It's very frustrating.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Firebird

I've struggled with insomnia off and on since the end of college. Usually would happen in phases and obviously caused by some external stress, but not always. I think my record is 3 nights straight with no sleep, and I had to drive every morning to a training class that week. Not fun. Come to think of it, it tends to happen more right before I have to drive a long distance, which is a great combination. When I was in one of those phases, even Ambien wouldn't work.
Unisom seems to work best for me, not sure why. Luckily it's over the counter.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on October 16, 2019, 11:06:08 PM
I've struggled with insomnia off and on since the end of college. Usually would happen in phases and obviously caused by some external stress, but not always. I think my record is 3 nights straight with no sleep, and I had to drive every morning to a training class that week. Not fun. Come to think of it, it tends to happen more right before I have to drive a long distance, which is a great combination. When I was in one of those phases, even Ambien wouldn't work.
Unisom seems to work best for me, not sure why. Luckily it's over the counter.

Hello again, Firebird! :wave hi:

Three nights? Wow, that's more than I've ever stayed up  :o Worst that's happened to me was 2 nights straight and even then I felt like I just couldn't keep my eyelids open.

No one

Have you tried any sleep aids?

I've run the gamut. I found Doxepin to be the most helpful.

xSilverPhinx

Firebird

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 20, 2019, 10:36:00 PM
Thanks! Hopefully will be around more.
One side effect of having two little kids: I can sleep through waaaay more noise than ever before. Drives my wife nuts when it's my turn to change a diaper. Told her she could kick me awake if necessary, so far it hasn't come to that but I'm betting it'll happen one of these nights.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on October 21, 2019, 02:07:33 PM
One side effect of having two little kids: I can sleep through waaaay more noise than ever before. Drives my wife nuts when it's my turn to change a diaper. Told her she could kick me awake if necessary, so far it hasn't come to that but I'm betting it'll happen one of these nights.

Heh :grin:

But is it because you've grown accustomed to the extra noise or are just too tired to be a light sleeper?  ;D

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on October 21, 2019, 02:07:33 PM
Firebird, hi!  :computerwave:
How old are your two little kids?
:tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Firebird

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2019, 03:46:01 AM
Heh :grin:

But is it because you've grown accustomed to the extra noise or are just too tired to be a light sleeper?  ;D

The latter, but my wife also says she gets a very visceral reaction when she hears a baby cry, especially now, so she'll leap up immediately, probably due to the hormones. Whereas I'm like "ugh, not again" and still slowly pulling my ass out of bed and she just gives up and does it herself. I'm definitely getting some shit for that, good-naturedly (I think?)

Quote from: Magdalena on October 22, 2019, 05:25:58 AM
Hey Mags!  :drink:
Younger is three weeks, and her older sister just turned 3 years this past weekend. Had a big birthday bash at a local play gym, which was good since she's a bit starved for attention these days. She's honestly been really sweet to her new sister, so she's mostly taking out her neediness on us, which is fine by us but can get a bit... Overwhelming.

I've had to clean up poop and vomit off my hands from both kids within the past 12 hours, and I'm typing this from the vet's office while checking on our sick cat, so it's been an interesting couple of days.

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on October 22, 2019, 04:48:07 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 22, 2019, 05:25:58 AM
Hey Mags!  :drink:
Younger is three weeks, and her older sister just turned 3 years this past weekend. I had a big birthday bash at a local play gym, which was good since she's a bit starved for attention these days. She's honestly been really sweet to her new sister, so she's mostly taking out her neediness on us, which is fine by us but can get a bit... Overwhelming.

I've had to clean up poop and vomit off my hands from both kids within the past 12 hours, and I'm typing this from the vet's office while checking on our sick cat, so it's been an interesting couple of days.
Wow! 3 years old and 3 weeks! One is potty training and the other one in diapers! Amazing! I can't stop using exclamation points!  :lol:
Difficult, but rewarding, isn't it?
--The universe thanks you.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Firebird

Quote from: Magdalena on October 22, 2019, 09:42:44 PM

--The universe thanks you.

The universe is more thankful than the kids themselves!  ;D

Like I said before, I love it despite everything, but I totally get why people choose not to have kids. Case in point, I'm still awake because the three year old woke up coughing, started crying, then yelled at me to get out when I went to check on her because I wasn't mommy. Then she proceeded to fall asleep on my legs and hey, that makes it all worth it! Ask me again in 6 hours when I have to wake up to drop her off at school.