News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A Piece of History -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, April 19, 2018, 08:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

Would be very interesting to know where these photos were taken.
Mine were  5, windmills  on Mykonos.  14  Chantilly, France.   23  Monet's garden
31  London [old and new pieces of history]  and 39  taken locally of a coach and four travelling from London to Portsmouth a couple of years ago. Very exciting with horn blowing etc etc.

The photo I liked the best was actually 30 by Guardian85.  I thought it a very evocative real piece of history showing what must have been something so commonly seen in the 'good old days'.  I  thought 34 the most  striking photo but  the most beautiful 42.

Hope you will all have a go at the next exciting Challenge.  It is so interesting.

Dave

Quote from: Lark on May 04, 2018, 03:05:50 PM
Would be very interesting to know where these photos were taken.
Mine were  5, windmills  on Mykonos.  14  Chantilly, France.   23  Monet's garden
31  London [old and new pieces of history]  and 39  taken locally of a coach and four travelling from London to Portsmouth a couple of years ago. Very exciting with horn blowing etc etc.

The photo I liked the best was actually 30 by Guardian85.  I thought it a very evocative real piece of history showing what must have been something so commonly seen in the 'good old days'.  I  thought 34 the most  striking photo but  the most beautiful 42.

Hope you will all have a go at the next exciting Challenge.  It is so interesting.

Guessed Monet's garden!

Great bunch of pics, folks

Mine were
1 The remains St Oswald's Priory, once called "The Golden Minster" because of the richness of the gifts and endowments it received. Gloucester cathedral in the background. The Normans remodelled it and Henry VIII and the Civil War did it no favours.
11. Plaque in Gloucester cathedral. Self explanatory. The tune was originally an anthem for a London gentlemans' club.
19. One of the many plaques on shop walls in Gloucester.
27. A, Victorian and thus probably a bit fanciful, stature of my favourite historical figure, Æthelflæd, daughter of Alfred the Great and ruler (under her dad) of Mercia. The lad is her nephew,  Æthelstan, who became the first king of all England, including the Norse and Danish bits. The statue is in Tamworth, her main base.
35. Er, do I need to explain?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Congratulations on your win, Recusant. Looking forward to hearing what the theme will be for the next challenge.

My entries were the following:
#2 Venice
#12 Lifesize glass horse at the Murano showroom in Venice
#20 Acropolis, Athens
#28 Church in Mykonos
#36 The Louvre seen through I. M. Pei's glass pyramid
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on May 04, 2018, 02:39:20 PM
:embarrassed: Eh, well, it appears that I've managed to win this one.
Congratulations, Recusant:cheerleader:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Well done Recusant, you're winning photo is excellent! And this was a great challenge, with a variety of wonderful pictures to choose from.

My entries:
#9 1906 Locomobile "Old 16" Race Car
#17 Spirit of St Louis on display in the Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall exhibition at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC.
#25 Ruins of the Casa Real, Comayagua, Honduras. Dating back to the late 17th century.
#33 Sun Studios, Memphis, TN. Birthplace of Rock and Roll
#41 Historic Church, Honduras (I think this is the La iglesia de la Caridad, but I'm not 100 percent sure at this time)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

It would be cool if we had a list of all the contests to date with links to the threads to make them easier to look up. Like either post the list to the new contest thread, or make a sticky one.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on May 04, 2018, 06:28:24 PM
It would be cool if we had a list of all the contests to date with links to the threads to make them easier to look up. Like either post the list to the new contest thread, or make a sticky one.

I'll see what I can do in that regard. Unfortunately a number of the Photo Challenge threads are in apparently permanent electronic limbo due to the database issues resulting from the forum software switch a while back.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

Good on you, Rec!

5 is the Faros (lighthouse) in Maspalomas on the south tip of Gran Canaria.
14 is the M/S Sandnes in Stavanger harbour. An old coastal liner that has been preserved.
22 is an old danish sailing ship moored in front of the Danish Royal Palace in Copenhagen.
30 is an old beer cart at the Carlsberg brewery, also in Copenhagen.
38 is a temple of Aphrodite. I am currently kicking myself for not remembering where in Turkey it was.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Thank you all. I note that it seems that when I edited the poll to add attributions for the images, I also managed to inadvertently re-open the voting. A 16th person voted, and gave hermes2015's Murano horse one of their votes. Technically the poll is now a tie, which gives me the opportunity to say that I think that the horse would have made a worthy winner. :)

Anyway, the new challenge has already been set so we'll just carry on.

ETA: Just took a look at the link for "Old 16." What a monster. Nearly 250 cubic inches (4 liters+) per cylinder!  ;D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Harmonie

Thanks to the person who voted for my flute picture!  :wave hi:

I've hardly ever been anywhere of significance, so my only contribution could be historical objects I own. The flute is apparently from the 19th century.

I had another object I wanted to take a picture of, but I ran out of time since my fancy camera is back home. :sadshake:

Certainly you all are so lucky to have gotten to see these beautiful buildings/monuments! I hope I get to go to Europe someday!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

joeactor

Congrats Rec!

And kudos to everyone... very nice selection.

hermes2015

Quote from: Harmonie on May 05, 2018, 01:40:33 AM
Thanks to the person who voted for my flute picture!  :wave hi:

I've hardly ever been anywhere of significance, so my only contribution could be historical objects I own. The flute is apparently from the 19th century.

I had another object I wanted to take a picture of, but I ran out of time since my fancy camera is back home. :sadshake:

Certainly you all are so lucky to have gotten to see these beautiful buildings/monuments! I hope I get to go to Europe someday!

You are welcome, Harmonie. I just had to vote for it, not just because it was music-related, but also as a photo in its own right.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Congrats Recusant.

I did the coin ones, coin collecting was my childhood hobby.
I kicked the habit by twelve years old but I've still got them.
None of them are worth a lot but I found/find them interesting.
There's an ancient Roman one, Spanish silver pirates musta stole.
Doesn't matter that they are worn, that makes them more real.
How many, what hands did they pass through far away, long ago?
Looking at them again, ones I didn't use, the Brit Empire was ... big.
They look cool, they are money and I was destined to be a counter.
I did change the date of a penny to 1775 and an Indian to 1917.

There's remnants of sticky tape I stuck on some of them when I was 9.
I haven't attempted to clean it off, it's part of their story now.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.