News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Why am I even listening to pop music? ::)  The beat, the beat, the beat...

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

No one

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

I have a high school in my town that is called Harrisson School of The Arts.  Some, no most, of those kids are so incredibly talented that it makes me cry with joy and the pride that not all, not nearly all, of our kids are delinquents whose only talents are texting.

There are kids across the globe that are unbelievably talented in many disciplines.  Here is a group of Japanese high school musician kids who can flat out get it on.  They are playing American music that was most popular in the 1940s while we were trying to destroy each others nations.  This group is doing comedic stuff but their music is spot on.  Try to listen to this while keeping your foot from patting.

The Japanese, somehow, have taken to music best described as  Swing or jazz.  There are many Japanese high school bands that do this music.  Among them is the BFJO or Big Friendly Jazz Orchestra.  They are spectacular and have many You tube gigs.  Our resident woodwind lady, Harmonie, cannot help but appreciate what some of those kids can do with their reed instruments. check out the girl drummer in this group.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVSMwgOjAJw

xSilverPhinx

Tank

The White Album.
On headphones.
Loud!
:daddance:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

John V

Top tracks by the Grateful Dead on Alexa. It's really good at the office - not too distracting.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Michael Tilson Thomas conducting Yuja Wang with the London Symphony Orchestra playing George Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F major.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on November 18, 2018, 05:25:27 AM
^at least four stars Hermes.

Yes, a fine performance. Gershwin is one of the American composers I admire very much. Of the more serious American composers, Copland is top of my list, with Barber a close second.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

This past week I attended a concert with our regional Imperial Symphony Orchestra. The guest artist was Angel Romero, an internationally acclaimed classical guitarist. They played Cocierto de Aranjuez  Also Andalucia Suite as well as a relatively obscure composition; Tre Versiones Sinfonicas.  it was a night of impressive Spanish style music.

All in all..................Magnifico! 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on November 18, 2018, 07:14:23 PM
This past week I attended a concert with our regional Imperial Symphony Orchestra. The guest artist was Angel Romero, an internationally acclaimed classical guitarist. They played Cocierto de Aranjuez  Also Andalucia Suite as well as a relatively obscure composition; Tre Versiones Sinfonicas.  it was a night of impressive Spanish style music.

All in all..................Magnifico!

Wow, thanks for reminding me to get a recording of Julian Orbon's Tres Versiones Sinfonica. I heard it many years ago and made a mental note to get it.

The South American and Spanish composers wrote some very lively music. I think you will like Sinfonia India by Chavez if you appreciate this type of music. Another exciting one is Sensemaya by Revueltas.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

This is Sensemaya by Silvestre Revueltas I mentioned.

― Charles Eames