News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Call for FGM to be made legal in Nigeria

Started by Dave, January 18, 2018, 02:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Dear Doctor Tatu Kamau, give Reasons why you want Female Genital MutilationLegalized

QuoteDoctor Tatu Kamau, has filed a well-supported case in the high Court asking the court to lift the ban on FGM, also known as circumcision of women in Kenya. Doctor Tatu who has practiced clinical medicine in Kenya for twenty-six years has a specialization in genecology, public health and reproductive health . . .

QuoteThey are such statistical conditions that have made Dr. Tatu to call for legalization of female circumcision in Kenya, she has supported her arguments by adducing that female circumcision can be safely done traditionally through proper training, that female circumcision can as well be done at the hospital, that it is a constitutional right of a woman to choose what to be done to her body and hence by extension enjoy the traditional dignity and self-esteem derived from FGM , and that FGM helps women to counter patriarchy and male chauvinism, the two social vices that often emanate from toxic masculinity inherent in the behavior of circumcised men. Dr. Tatu also points out that it is only blind submission to the western pressure and Christianity making the governments in Kenya to ban FGM, that the governments are banning FGM without taking time to appreciate cultural heritages of the Kenyan communities.

I agree that an adult, informed female should have the right to be "circumcised" is that is their free choice. But never kids - the age of consent is 18 in Nigeria. The difference between male and female cicumcission is gross, there is no real comparison in my mind, even if carried out in sterile surgical conditions.

"Cultural heritage" is at the root of so many ills this world suffers from.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Coincidentally, I checked out a book at the library today.    It is titled; Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  I think that she has some first hand authority to address this subject.  Most of you know who she is and you may admire her for having a mind of her own and the enormous fortitude that caused her to fight back.   

Off topic.....I got two books today. The other one is titled: Alt-America. The rise of the radical right in the age of trump.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on January 18, 2018, 11:10:01 PM
Coincidentally, I checked out a book at the library today.    It is titled; Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  I think that she has some first hand authority to address this subject.  Most of you know who she is and you may admire her for having a mind of her own and the enormous fortitude that caused her to fight back.   

Off topic.....I got two books today. The other one is titled: Alt-America. The rise of the radical right in the age of trump.
I want to read this book.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Be interesting to plot how many books are written, on the president and the effects of his policies, in the first year of all presidencies. Betcha Trump would be the winner!

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on January 19, 2018, 08:23:20 AM

Be interesting to plot how many books are written, on the president and the effects of his policies, in the first year of all presidencies. Betcha Trump would be the winner!

What's the author's POV? Against alt-right or simply seeking to be factual?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 08, 2018, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: Dave on January 19, 2018, 08:23:20 AM

What's the author's POV? Against alt-right or simply seeking to be factual?

I would hope for factual, comprehensive and objective, but . . .

Tank

I read 'Infidel' many years ago. A very good book indeed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

I have just finished another book written by a former Muslim woman.   It is: A God Who Hates by Wafa Sultan.  There is almost nothing about FGM in the book but she describes, in painful detail, the plight of the female in the Islamic religious or cultural setting.  Ms Sultan was born in a Syrian village and suffered some of the miserable burdens of being a woman.  She is on the hit list of some Ayatolla or other because she is outspoken about the evils, the stupidity, of the religion.