News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Video Game Testing Jobs?

Started by Whitney, July 04, 2009, 10:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

While doing my required job searching I came across some listings saying that they would pay people to test video games.  My husband plays a lot of video games so I thought it would be cool if he could get paid to do what he does anyway.  The site linked in this particular ad required that you sign up for a membership that then would link you to companies who hire video game testers.  So, I figured it was probably a scam where maybe a few members actually end up getting paid.  This was the site:  http://elitegametester.com/

But, it has me curious.  I'm sure they do have to pay people to test their games but where would you look for such a job?  Btw, ever seen Grandma's Boy?  If not, a must see.

curiosityandthecat

Game Tester is definitely a legit job category. However, to make it a fulltime job (read: career) you'll need to be in one of the cities where the video game giants are. Find a game developer's headquarters, and you've got a chance at a $35,000 a year job. Of course, that means most of us would have to relocate.  :brick:

But yes, that's definitely a scam. You don't need to be "linked" to companies that hire video game testers. All video game companies hire testers. Like I said, just gotta be in the city where there's a headquarters.
-Curio

rlrose328

It also depends on whether you want to do it fulltime onsite or if the company does field beta.  I've done both... though it was 15 years ago with Sierra and they're not around anymore.  I managed the onsite testers and did field beta at night.  Onsite, I made an hourly wage and field, I got the game for free (it was, at that time, $2/hr evening, $7/hr daytime through Sprint).
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

AlP

I used to be a video game programmer. Game tester is a legit job. Be warned it can be grueling work though. Playing a game through once can be fun. Playing a single game day in day out for months is not, especially when it crashes all the time because it isn't finished. Also, these jobs are often cyclical. When a small developer releases a title, or more likely when their title gets cancelled, a lot of people get laid off and testers are among those who suffer the worst. In its favor, the game tester position is usually non-exempt meaning that unlike most in the video games industry, testers are at least compensated for the crazy extra hours they need to work (12+ hours a day sometimes). The hourly rate is pretty low and depends where the job is.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

So, in other words...there probably is no way to monetize my husband's recreational game playing.  I know I would hate to be a game tester, I haven't finished a whole game since Mario Brothers (and I had to use cheats to get to the end).

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Whitney"So, in other words...there probably is no way to monetize my husband's recreational game playing.  I know I would hate to be a game tester, I haven't finished a whole game since Mario Brothers (and I had to use cheats to get to the end).
There's probably some way. Here's a list of industry insiders on Twitter.  :)
-Curio

Joshua

Following the industries wont help you finding a job as game tester. I am looking for such a job also. Probably we should find a site which offers positions in gamers sphere. Any suggestions ? Stellenangebote

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Joshua"Following the industries wont help you finding a job as game tester. I am looking for such a job also. Probably we should find a site which offers positions in gamers sphere. Any suggestions ?
Yep, read my earlier posts. Until game devs are willing to do Skype-based feedback or teleconference, you're going to have to go to the dev's place of business. That means relocation for many. Aside from that, get proactive and start calling developer headquarters asking if there are open positions or if there's a waiting list to get on.

Then again, it depends on what point in the life of the game you want to do testing in. Alpha or early-phase testing usually takes place in-house, but closed beta tests aren't unheard of.
-Curio