News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on October 19, 2019, 02:39:43 AM
I think I might have destroyed my left knee. The sad thing is, if I wasn't paying for health insurance I might be able to afford a doctor. :(

That sucks JJ. Does it at least partially cover a visit?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

The only thing I seem to get is a discount on emergency room visits. The actual bill has to be paid in full. So, they get almost $500 a month to do absolutely nothing. I don't understand it, but I will never have health insurance again.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on October 19, 2019, 03:30:54 PM
The only thing I seem to get is a discount on emergency room visits. The actual bill has to be paid in full. So, they get almost $500 a month to do absolutely nothing. I don't understand it, but I will never have health insurance again.

That's insane. Is your insurance through your employer?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

Yeah, it's through work. Like I said, I really don't understand how it works.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on October 19, 2019, 08:41:11 PM

My mom works for a health insurance company. If you want a second pair of eyes to go over anything let me know

billy rubin

i am offered health insurance through my company. it's three hundred dollars a week for me and my family, some $15,000 per year.

instead of paying that, i put two kids on university health insurance, skipped dental and vision, and found insurance on the open market for $550 per month that covers major medical for me, my wife, and three other kids.

people talk about the tax increase that universal healthcare would impose on people. unless my taxes increase more than $15,000, i would be money ahead.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Never get sick, never get hurt. It's a simple concept.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

Quote from: Buddy on October 19, 2019, 09:56:59 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on October 19, 2019, 08:41:11 PM

My mom works for a health insurance company. If you want a second pair of eyes to go over anything let me know

I'm just over dealing with them. I'll fix myself, myself.

jumbojak

Quote from: No one on October 20, 2019, 12:33:56 AM
Never get sick, never get hurt. It's a simple concept.

Nothing wagered, nothing gained. I have a lot of gains I want to make and that means putting things on the line. In this case the thing is my body. It's not good for much anyway.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2019, 12:55:01 AM

that's the plan.

Through no fault of the camera that was probably the least exciting video I have seen in a while. I doubt that was the case for the rider! Were you the rider? Loved the Team Prehistoric name.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

lol

i have limited editing capacity. tht's a fifty five year old motorcycle setting the world speed record in 2018 at 134 mph, for any machine of its type.

if you slow it down you can see the flags go by on the right at the mile, and another set at the mile point five.

two months later it went 135.

got to work on video quality tho. yes thats me on it.

Icarus

BR, The string thing on the right I would presume leads to a kill switch.  Actually, if you fall off it wont' make a rats ass whether the engine stops or not. ....or is that a nitro switch?   

I presume that these record attempts are for naked bikes only. ...........You fork legs are raised in the triple clamps which will change the rake and trail characteristics. Scary.  What kind of tires are you risking your poor ass with?  Way back in the day the Yamaha TZ750s were going faster than the tires could endure.  They were super bad ass four cylinder two strokes.  Pleased to say that GP and super bike tires are much better now.

billy rubin

i remember the TZ750s. state of the art. if you wanted to competitive, thats what you had to have. kenny roberts flat tracked one of those on dirt ovals until it was banned as too wickedly dangerous.

i run in a naked class, stock frame, gasoline. no aero, no nitrous, no nitromethane. a fairing would give 5 mph, and nitromethane machines like mine can go 175. but thats not what im looking for. the naked modified class is as simple as you can get, totally minimalist. therez satisfaction in going very very fast without the aids other people think essential.

the red wire on my machine leads to a deadman switch, as you figured out. on the left is a toggle- on, off. those and one 18-inch piece of wire leading to the magneto make up the entire electrical syztem.

tires on this run were continental street radials. lowering both front and rear the same kept rake and trail constant. since then i've changed the wheels to old 1980s japanese superbike front wheels, 17 inches.  they take 22-inch goodyear automobile drag racing front tirez, which all by themzelves lower the machine quite a bit. givez meand some peace of mind, too, because the goodyears are rated to 300 mph.

right now the seat is only a about four inches higher than my knees, and i have perhaps an inch and a half of clearance under the pipes.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2019, 05:23:14 PM
lol

i have limited editing capacity. tht's a fifty five year old motorcycle setting the world speed record in 2018 at 134 mph, for any machine of its type.

if you slow it down you can see the flags go by on the right at the mile, and another set at the mile point five.

two months later it went 135.

got to work on video quality tho. yes thats me on it.

Well done!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.