News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Me be newbie

Started by rickrocks, April 10, 2012, 12:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickrocks

Hello, everyone! I was attracted to this forum because the name is also my name. Explanation: I belong to an online community called Gather.com. I have a group within Gather called (pause for effect) "The Happy Atheist". I thought, "what a co-inkydink - perhaps this is destiny...mmm, naw! I've done a lot of talking in groups concerning religion and science and stuff, and I feel able to express my philosophy adequately to be understood in English.

I am a piano player from Buffalo, New York. Buffalo is known as "the city of good neighbors", and "the queen city of the great lakes". But I think it was back in the '80's that another nickname was created by a local artist - "the city of no illusions". Hopefully I'll be able to live up to that. You can look for me to be somewhat inconsistent in my visits to HAF, as I am not retired yet. See you in a while.

rickrocks

McQ

Welcome, rick and thanks for the introduction! Great to have another HA on HAF. How's the music business in Buffalo currently? Hope the arts weren't crushed there like in so many other cities recently.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, rickrocks. I like the name "City of No Illusions." I look forward to seeing your contributions to our discussions.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

QuoteIt's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
t's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
Why don't you get things started
It's time to get things started
On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
This is what we call the Muppet Show!

I often think of the Muppet show song when doing these welcomes.
Welcome to the inspirational celebrational Muppetational HAF.

OldGit

I want to be Waldorf or Statler.

Welcome, rickrocks.  The first 10 posts are the worst, after that you'll get the brain rot and be just like us.

rickrocks

Um, I don't know whether or to whom I am replying right now. Apologies. I will say thanks for helping to facilitate my first ten messages. I'll get it right sooner or later

Buddy

Welcome to the forum Rickrocks. You wouldn't be related to Rick Roll, would you?  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Hi Rickrocks, and welcome to HAF.  What type of music do you play?

rickrocks

Hi, Ali. I'm a swiftly aging rocker, mainly, but I also play classical music and several different blues styles. Basically, I'm taking requests and I'm hard to stump! Do you play an instrument?

Ali

Not at all.   :D  I like to sing, but that's about it.  But I am the proud mother of a future musician (I think.)  My almost four year old is obsessed with all musical instruments, and my dad is a musician (guitar and drums) and is already teaching him a little bit. 

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Hello rickrocks

When you're really old you'll have to change your user name to dickwobbles  ;)

Welcome to HAF!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2012, 04:15:55 PM
When you're really old you'll have to change your user name to dickwobbles  ;)
*sputter*  *coffee out the nose*

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Good to have you.  Welcome (from the opposition) ;)