News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

'Allo

Started by Unlinked, April 03, 2012, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlinked

Hello, all. I am a card-carrying English ninja who likes to pretend to be some kind of halfway decent storyteller. I grew up atheist with a very supportive christian family--a lucky thing, judging by the stories I've seen on this site--and a tight circle of friends who all eventually turned to the dark side with me. My hobbies include drawing (poorly), singing (semi-decently), and writing (also poorly). I decided to join this forum because I like belonging to some kind of large group, and most of the clubs that offer that sort of thing at my school are heavily Christianity-centered. I am fond of proofreading and editing any kind of text and will do so gladly if anyone asks.

Have a good day >w<

--Unlinked

Ali

Hi there Unlinked.  Welcome to HAF.  I am interested to see if you join forces with our resident Norwegian Ninja, or if you end up having some sort of ninja-off.

*Popcorn*

Unlinked

Thanks. Although, I'm not sure how one would go about having a ninja-off for two different languages, but for the sake of good grammar everywhere...

Ali

OH.  English-ninja.  Haha, I thought that you meant that you were British (English) AND a ninja, not that you had ninja-esque skillz when it comes to the English language.  Haha, I have no idea how competent our other ninja (Guardian) is at Norwegian grammar (since I don't speak Norwegian, he could say any manner of nonsense and I would smile and think it was brilliant.)  He's more of a real ninja, with swords and stuff.

Amicale

Hey, Unlinked! Welcome to HAF. :)

I also enjoy drawing and singing (both semi poorly in my case), as well as writing, proofreading and editing!

Glad to meet you.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Unlinked

Quote from: Ali on April 03, 2012, 11:17:09 PM
OH.  English-ninja.  Haha, I thought that you meant that you were British (English) AND a ninja, not that you had ninja-esque skillz when it comes to the English language.  Haha, I have no idea how competent our other ninja (Guardian) is at Norwegian grammar (since I don't speak Norwegian, he could say any manner of nonsense and I would smile and think it was brilliant.)  He's more of a real ninja, with swords and stuff.

Gah, sorry for the confusion! I just thought "grammar Nazi" was a bit too non-family-friendly. And I'm not English at all, just a silly American whose only experience with swords and stuff was flailing a broom handle at my brother in self-defense while he practiced his fencing on me. Yeah, there's no contest, unless it's a Super Smash Bros Brawl duel; I might be able to hold my own in that case.

Quote from: Amicale on April 04, 2012, 12:31:03 AM
Hey, Unlinked! Welcome to HAF. :)

I also enjoy drawing and singing (both semi poorly in my case), as well as writing, proofreading and editing!

Glad to meet you.

Hello ^_^ It's not often that I meet another person with my oddly diverse hobbies, so it's nice to meet you.

Ali

Quote from: Unlinked on April 04, 2012, 12:34:37 AM

Gah, sorry for the confusion! I just thought "grammar Nazi" was a bit too non-family-friendly. And I'm not English at all, just a silly American whose only experience with swords and stuff was flailing a broom handle at my brother in self-defense while he practiced his fencing on me. Yeah, there's no contest, unless it's a Super Smash Bros Brawl duel; I might be able to hold my own in that case.

I gotcha!  Yes, I agree, "Grammar Nazi" rather puts one on edge.  "English Ninja" sounds like someone who might be fun to drink tea and play that fruit-slashing game with.  :D  I just ended my sentence with a preposition.  And I'm NOT changing it.  Neener. 

Unlinked

Quote from: Ali on April 04, 2012, 12:38:53 AM
Quote from: Unlinked on April 04, 2012, 12:34:37 AM

I gotcha!  Yes, I agree, "Grammar Nazi" rather puts one on edge.  "English Ninja" sounds like someone who might be fun to drink tea and play that fruit-slashing game with.  :D  I just ended my sentence with a preposition.  And I'm NOT changing it.  Neener. 

Ha, "that fruit-slashing game." I prefer Angry Birds, mostly because it unleashes my inner Hulk. ("Die, you g***** pigs, die!")

Psh, I've heard linguists from the University of Chicago discredit that rule. You can go right ahead. XD

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Unlinked

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 04, 2012, 01:01:37 AM
Welcome!

Hello! Just curious, as I've seen a few similar things around the site, is there anything special behind the knife in your signature?

Ali

^^  The Magic Pudding gives out HAF silverware to those of us who reach posting milestones (1000 posts, 2000 posts, et cetera.)

You haven't met Pudding yet.  I suspect he'll be along shortly, saying something bizarre and hilarious, and perhaps killing something you hold dear and turning it into a hat.

Unlinked

Ah, I see. Good to know, and thanks for warning me. I'll hide my cat.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Unlinked on April 04, 2012, 01:45:19 AM
Ah, I see. Good to know, and thanks for warning me. I'll hide my cat.

Too late.
Cat in a hat has at least one more meaning than Dr Seuss familiarized.
Will I make felt from the fur or use the skin?
Perhaps I should use both to limit waste, after all cats don't grow on trees.
They can often be found in trees though, I think I'll go for the felt.
I need more cats though, it's surprising how many small animals you need to make a nice felt hat.

Hello Unlinked

Oh and don't believe people who say I'm odd, I'm perfectly abnormal.

Unlinked

I think you'll have more luck with the felt route, considering the several tons of fur she sheds daily and the number of small animals she catches, hummingbirds included. She'd be of more use to you as a gatherer of materials than a source.

Also, tiny top hats seem to be in style, so maybe you could maximize your profits by charging double the price of a normal hat while using less than half the material if you're into the evil businessman gig.

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 04, 2012, 02:34:40 AM
Oh and don't believe people who say I'm odd, I'm perfectly abnormal.

So I noticed. It's wonderful to meet you, Pudding. I'm sure we'll have fun. >w<

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Unlinked on April 04, 2012, 01:16:58 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 04, 2012, 01:01:37 AM
Welcome!

Hello! Just curious, as I've seen a few similar things around the site, is there anything special behind the knife in your signature?

Yeah, as Ali explained, it's a bit of a meme that's been popping up around the place lately. The Magic Pudding gives them to people who hit their 4 digit milestone number of posts.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey