News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Human Rights

Started by Michael Reilly, March 28, 2012, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 09:00:27 PM
Man, the flatulence dismissal. This is like getting jumped into a gang: I stand in the middle of a circle of atheists, and they all start punching me. Then, one farts at me.

Oh, humanity.

Not so much punching, maybe just some poking with sticks?  ;D
Just remember, Stevil's farts are his own. He does not pass gass on behalf of all of us.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Man, the flatulence dismissal. This is like getting jumped into a gang: I stand in the middle of a circle of atheists, and they all start punching me. Then, one farts at me.

Oh, humanity.
:D Don't forget, you did come here and you did start this thread  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Oh, humanity.

Maybe yoy should use less sexist opinions to "prove   a point" ?

No one is ganging up.on you. ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Michael Reilly

QuoteDon't forget, you did come here and you did start this thread

Blame the victim. Classic.

Wait, wait...are there a lot of British people in this conversation?

Tank

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 09:31:40 PM

American x 2
New Zealander x 1
Canadian x 1
British x 3
Norwegian x 1
Australian x 1
Other x 1

So apart from the Norwegian it's all colonials  ;)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 09:31:40 PM

A lot of our active members are from the UK, but we have members from all over the world. :)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Michael Reilly

Tea swilling Queen-havers. I might have known.

Tank

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 09:47:22 PM
We get the Queen, you get Bush Snr and Jnr. We get the better deal!  :D

Stevil

I love tea, yum.
Especially Indian spice tea or Japanese green tea or Chinese oolong tea

Generally don't think about her royal highness while I drink it though.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2012, 09:50:25 PM

LOL Tank <3 <3

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 28, 2012, 09:50:25 PM
At least Her Majesty is cool. AND provides The Pudding with hats.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

*gasp* Oh, you didn't bring tea into this!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

*Snicker*  Queen-havers. 

To the original question, I personally do believe that there are fundamental human rights.  Not on the basis of religion or a divine spark, but simply on the basis of empathy for our fellow humans, and a belief that humans should be equal and treated with equal compassion and dignity. 

Asmo, and others who do not believe in human rights except as bestowed by governments/cultures, see my signature (I've been waiting since yesterday to pull that out.  V for Victory!)

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on March 28, 2012, 11:27:26 PM
Asmo, and others who do not believe in human rights except as bestowed by governments/cultures, see my signature (I've been waiting since yesterday to pull that out.  V for Victory!)
Well, of course you are wrong and I am right. The Asmo is always right, making everyone not Asmo wrong as default  :D

Every right you have is either one you claim yourself or one imposed on you by your surroundings. Oh, there are few that are supposed to be widely international, like the right to life, and yet The US practice death penalty while Iceland does not. Thus, right to live and right to live are two different things.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 28, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
You find meaning in your experience. So do I. We have the same meaning (I have two little ones) but label our experiences differently. You can't prove love, and I can't prove a divine spark.
as nice as being in love is, I'm also fully aware that it's a feeling I have when certain chemicals are running around in my brain, it doesn't exist as an objective entity. Are you saying that your 'divine spark' is the same sort of thing? Scientists are actually doing some really interesting work using fMRI scans to show what's going on inside peoples' heads when they fall in love, so we probably can say whether or not someone's in love by examining their brain.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/love6.htm

http://www.romancestuck.com/articles/chemistryoflove.htm

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/issues/2006/february/cupidchemistry.asp