News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Art? Poetry?

Started by 0dan1, December 03, 2007, 11:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

".... you broke the lamp in the living room back in 1985?  Yeah, well, compounded the interest on the damage you've yet to reimburse me for adds up to quite a bit...."

Seosamh

there's a link to my photo gallery in my signature.
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

-Robert Ingersoll

my photography gallery: http://ash-nazg4321.deviantart.com/

Eris

I love writing, photography, sculpture, and painting.

And I've also noticed that contemporary Christian "art" is not as creative as secular art. I think this stems from self-abating tendencies of Christians who believe they need to "give God the glory" for everything good that happens. Because they can't freely give themselves credit for their own accomplishments, creating isn't as emotionally fulfilling to them. Also, because their subjects are limited to clean, Christian things, they don't have as wide a range of possibilities.

...At least, that's how it was for me.
Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it may.

winterbottom

I'm a trained writer. I occasionally produce criticism, social commentary, and satire that no one reads. I also degrade the visual arts with my work in freehand drawing, photo manipulation, and collage. My current vocation is graphic design.

An example of my "work", inspired by a mushroom trip (give it a second for the effects to kick in):

Ecumenicals and atheists agree] :)

jcm

I don't like art that "tells a story" anymore. I haven't seen anything good in a long, long time. Lately, I am more interested in nature photography. I'd rather just look a pretty pictures. A really good quote sums up what I've been thinking for years about art.

In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.
Paul Dirac  

I guess I more like the beauty and inspiration of science, because it is the only thing offering anything new these days.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Eris

Fun stuff, winterbottom!

JCM, that's a great quote. So true. Doesn't stop me from loving art, but I appreciate your perspective!
Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it may.

Smarmy Of One

Quote from: "Seosamh"there's a link to my photo gallery in my signature.

Seosamh, your photography is beautiful! Thanks for sharing that link.

mrwinkie1330

I'm a composer.

Religion itself basically criminalizes free thought, which is what creativity thrives on.  True art comes from the individual.  Religion makes that more difficult.  At least thats what <i>I</i> think...

Valerie

I paint portraits.  I started painting about 5 years ago even though I have drawn pictures ever since I could hold a pencil.  I don't know why I had never attempted painting before I did, but wish I had because I paint much better than I draw.  I have always had to have a creative outlet doing something and I am happy to say that I intend to paint as long as I am physically able to.  Right now my main inspiration is my adorable two year old granddaughter.  She will have quite a few paintings of herself someday!!

Seosamh

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"
Quote from: "Seosamh"there's a link to my photo gallery in my signature.

Seosamh, your photography is beautiful! Thanks for sharing that link.

I really appreciate the compliment. I'll be entering a youth photo contest in a  few days and will know the results next month. I won $300 the first time I entered and am hoping to place well this time too.
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

-Robert Ingersoll

my photography gallery: http://ash-nazg4321.deviantart.com/

shiver

Seosamh, I really enjoyed your photography.

I write poetry mostly, but I have started a novel that is surely never going to be completed.  I think my real talent is in writing essays, though.

Here is a poem I'm working on for my Evolution in Literature course.

"Last Chance to Advance Beyond Human"
 (The Heaven Question)

The carpet etching cuneiform
  into my sweating, shaking knees;
My spine curving pious
  toward an icon for the centuries;
The greatest story ever told
  or the best lie ever sold?

Do I question alone
  as hot tears sizzle over swollen cheeks,
Sweetened by the promise of eternity,
  or beaten for crimes human?

All from the invertebrate
  swimming and loving his way to higher mammal?
Or woman from the rib
  and forever His subjugate?
Humanity free to love as it wilt
  or shamed into blushing guilt?

My toes digging craters
  in the deep, dark loam;

It's not complete yet, but I'm really proud of where it's going.  I have alluded to Erasmus Darwin (Charles Darwin's grandfather) and the title is a quote from the Heaven's Gate cult.  And, there are some obscure fiction references.  

The assignment is to "creatively" respond to certain concepts we have discussed in class (ie, religious responses to Darwinism, evolutionary biology, evolutionary psychology, implications for gender, sex, and love, etc.).  I'm having fun with it.
"...for there are at least three themes which are utterly taboo as far as American publishers are concerned...; and the total atheist who lives a happy and useful life, and dies in his sleep at the age of 106."

--Vladimir Nabokov, "On a Book Entitled Lolita"

Kylyssa

I'm a freelance writer.  I write mostly erotica but I also write "junk" articles for my own pleasure, mostly about sex, sexuality, atheism, saltwater aquarium tips, and floral design. My biggest vice is poetry.  You can find examples of most of those on Associated Content.  YOu can find some of my naughty bits on my blog.  

I also draw and paint.  Additionally, I love to make fancy cakes.

SteveS

Quote from: "Kylyssa"saltwater aquarium tips
Do you do any freshwater aquarium tips?  Like how to fight off massive algae invasions?

joeactor

Wow!  Great stuff everyone!

How'd I miss this topic?

Ok, so... I'm an actor (big surprise).

I've done a ton of stage, some film, radio, tv, etc.  Also sing in the Lyric Baritone range.

Currently I am doing weekly Improv here at the LA Connection (Sat 8pm - come see me!).

... and my main gig is doing Voice-Over work.  I've got 3 video games and a cartoon pilot being released this year (hush-hush stuff), and just did some characters for "Bleach" (anime).

If you'd like to hear some samples, or see a bit more of my checkered and chess'd past, my web site is at:
JoeActor.com

Howzat Sound?,
JoeActor

McQ

Joe's stuff is really good, gang. Really! And Joe, I wish I could drop in to see you doing improv. Wrong damn coast for me though! If I'm ever in the neighborhood though..... ;)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette