News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What Is Your Life's Purpose? Why Are You Here?

Started by Truthseeker, February 29, 2012, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Truthseeker on March 01, 2012, 01:25:41 AM
So I do not understand why it would be considered invalid.
Because we are a direct result of a biological process. We are here because our parents had unprotected sex. Beyond that, I see no reason for a "why", nor validation for it.

It's pretty much like asking "Why is a random number random?"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

We are only sentient matter for a short while.
To embrace your awareness sounds cool, at least some of the time.

Amicale

Just for fun, I asked these questions of family members this evening. Their replies made me smile.

My mom: "to get as much sleep as possible. Morning comes early! Oh, and to eat good food, listen to good music, and love my friends and my family."

My grandma (pointing to my grandfather): "Why am I here? To bug the hell out of him!"

My grandfather (pointing to my grandma): "And I'm apparently here to put up with HER incessant chatter!"

My aunt: "I'm here to drink REALLY good wine."

My daughter (who probably didn't understand the question, I asked her over the phone, lol): "I love kitty cats and my toys and BOOKS!"

:D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Truthseeker

Quote from: Asmodean on March 01, 2012, 01:33:12 AM
Quote from: Truthseeker on March 01, 2012, 01:25:41 AM
So I do not understand why it would be considered invalid.
Because we are a direct result of a biological process. We are here because our parents had unprotected sex. Beyond that, I see no reason for a "why", nor validation for it.

It's pretty much like asking "Why is a random number random?"

So if I understand what you are saying, it is your impression that subsequent to a biological process one cannot derive a purpose or reason on their own, in their own mind for why they may be here?
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Asmodean

Quote from: Truthseeker on March 01, 2012, 01:56:22 AM
So if I understand what you are saying, it is your impression that subsequent to a biological process one cannot derive a purpose or reason on their own, in their own mind for why they may be here?
Of course they can.

But then, the question turns from "Why are we here?" to "Why do I continue my existence?" There is a big difference.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on March 01, 2012, 02:09:14 AM
Of course they can.

But then, the question turns from "Why are we here?" to "Why do I continue my existence?" There is a big difference.

Hmm. So maybe the question isn't "why are we are", but "what makes life worth living"?

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Crow

Quote from: Amicale on February 29, 2012, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 29, 2012, 07:23:28 PM
I just try to leave things better than I found them.  Doesn't always work, but it's interesting and fun to try.
Basically, this. My goal (even if I don't always succeed at it) is to leave things and as many people as possible better off than before. Basically, just trying to best to care about others, support them however I can, do the best I can every day. I know I make tons of mistakes, but when all's said and done at the end of my life, my goal is to have helped way more than I hurt. At least the good news is, because I admit as a human I mess up plenty in my life, at least I learn how to think better, love better, and help better every single day.

Interesting. My own personal take is not to try and make anything better or worse as it usually interferes in something that will eventually correct itself.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 02:16:26 AM
Hmm. So maybe the question isn't "why are we are", but "what makes life worth living"?
Indeed. Those are two very different questions.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on March 01, 2012, 02:17:57 AM
Quote from: Amicale on February 29, 2012, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 29, 2012, 07:23:28 PM
I just try to leave things better than I found them.  Doesn't always work, but it's interesting and fun to try.
Basically, this. My goal (even if I don't always succeed at it) is to leave things and as many people as possible better off than before. Basically, just trying to best to care about others, support them however I can, do the best I can every day. I know I make tons of mistakes, but when all's said and done at the end of my life, my goal is to have helped way more than I hurt. At least the good news is, because I admit as a human I mess up plenty in my life, at least I learn how to think better, love better, and help better every single day.

Interesting. My own personal take is not to try and make anything better or worse as it usually interferes in something that will eventually correct itself.

Hmm... interesting. So if someone's sad, you don't try to cheer them up? If someone hurts themselves, you don't try to get them help/patch them up? :) Those are examples of trying to make something better than it is. Sometimes things do correct themselves, but generally when it comes to humans, we live in community for a reason: we can help one another, and be helped.

I can see how what I said could be taken as 'improve someone', but I meant it in the sense of mostly being helpful or of use where possible.

Crow

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 02:32:53 AM
Hmm... interesting. So if someone's sad, you don't try to cheer them up? If someone hurts themselves, you don't try to get them help/patch them up? :) Those are examples of trying to make something better than it is. Sometimes things do correct themselves, but generally when it comes to humans, we live in community for a reason: we can help one another, and be helped.

I can see how what I said could be taken as 'improve someone', but I meant it in the sense of mostly being helpful or of use where possible.

I usually see those situations as allowing the individual that is hurt/upset to get what they need (if they want it) within reason and they set what they need. The only time I would interfere (I actively stop what an individual is doing) in these situations would be to stop something that could potential go bad, or requires immediate attention and I know what to do in the situation. But I never think I will try and make a situation better or worse.
Retired member.

Truthseeker

Quote from: Asmodean on March 01, 2012, 02:09:14 AM
Of course they can.

Ahhh.  You and I see things differently.  Those two questoioin, in my mind, are asking exactly the same thing and I personally derive the same answer for each.  No big deal.  Potato, potawto.  Really a symantical issue.  I mean we could really start splitting hairs here and turn this into a stand off.  But stand offs bore me.

I always enjoy reading everyone's perspecitves on this question.  The answers invaribly are far and wide.       

Now where is that beer barkeep? 
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on March 01, 2012, 01:53:45 AM

My daughter (who probably didn't understand the question, I asked her over the phone, lol): "I love kitty cats and my toys and BOOKS!"

Why do we ever bother to grow up!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 01, 2012, 01:33:58 PM
Some people do it for drinking, others for sex, others still for money and/or power... Or any combination thereof.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Some people just can't help themselves.... fools!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Truthseeker

Some of us do it so we can break away from the hysteria that was our religious upbringing.