News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48

Started by Amicale, February 12, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 03:48:19 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 19, 2012, 03:29:17 AM
Argh, so sick of hearing about this already. Every store in nyc is blasting her music. X_x

You know the saying. When one person dies, we see it as a tragedy; when thousands die, we see it as statistics. The same day Whitney Houston died, thousands of other people across the world who we'll never hear of died, too. She temporarily gets the attention because she was famous, and had some talent. I saw video on the news of people sobbing in the streets over her. It's really unfortunate she died, just as it's unfortunate anyone does... but *shrug* none of us make it out of this world alive. I actually think it's much MORE of a shame that the one life she did have contained some pretty poor choices, but hey.

I think it's beyond idiotic to cry over someone you don't know personally.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

Enogh now! She died, she has been planted. Can we please get back on with it (whaterer it is).  >:(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

En_Route

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 19, 2012, 01:40:24 AM
Quote from: En_Route on February 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
Is Christina Aguilera slated to sing at her funeral? If so, I want the photographic evidence.

No, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder will be singing, and Kevin Costner is going to speak.  We'll just have to wait and see if any of them wear anything plunging.

I sincerely hope Aretha isn't.And also Kevin Costner for that matter.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

But Stevie Wonder in a plunging neckline would be just fine?   ;D

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on February 19, 2012, 02:54:22 PM
But Stevie Wonder in a plunging neckline would be just fine?   ;D

He has an excuse for sartorial faux pas.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

statichaos

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 19, 2012, 05:24:57 AM

I don't completely agree.  We can be touched by the circumstances of a death or the horror of it (I knew no one who died on 9/11, but I still cried).  We can be so influenced by a person's work that we feel their loss as keenly as if we had known them, as I felt when Kurt Cobain died.  We can simply feel the loss of someone gone too young, or in a manner that speaks to a tragedy in their life.  All of this affects me on an emotional level, and I don't find it so much idiotic as I do human.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: statichaos on February 19, 2012, 11:17:35 PM

I don't completely agree.  We can be touched by the circumstances of a death or the horror of it (I knew no one who died on 9/11, but I still cried).  We can be so influenced by a person's work that we feel their loss as keenly as if we had known them, as I felt when Kurt Cobain died.  We can simply feel the loss of someone gone too young, or in a manner that speaks to a tragedy in their life.  All of this affects me on an emotional level, and I don't find it so much idiotic as I do human.

I agree.  I was trying to think of a way to say the same thing, but your post needs no duplication.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: statichaos on February 19, 2012, 11:17:35 PM

Really good post, and I agree also. Sometimes I also cry when someone's lost even though I didn't know them, because the horrible pain of others who miss them gets to me... or for the reasons you already posted.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan