News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48

Started by Amicale, February 12, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Just heard this on news.  Sheesh, so young...

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

A rather tragic character. Shame she died so young.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

:-[  A shame, although not entirely unexpected.

Guardian85

Never been a big fan, but she had some nice tunes.

And she could probably knock a house down by yelling at it.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Traveler

I haven't kept up with her. Why is it unexpected?

I loved her voice. I loved the movie The Bodyguard. And I'm sorry she's gone.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Xiilent

hismikeness

It seems the Questionable death will involve a question along these lines: was there more drugs in her system or left in the room she died?

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Whitney

I was slightly under the impression that she had already died (because of how badly the drugs messed her up and not catching any stories about her for a few years)...so I can't say I was surprised.

It's a shame that so many of these talented celebrities throw it all away for drugs.

pytheas

wiki:

Levamisole-tainted cocaine was linked to several high-profile deaths. Toxicology reports showed that levamisole, along with cocaine, was present in DJ AM's body at the time of his death.[17][dead link] Andrew Koppel, son of newsman Ted Koppel, was also found with Levamisole in his body after his death was ruled a drug overdose.[18]

coke kills at middle-age, strained vascular systems

So many showbizz and sport "sudden" deaths, all have to do with a little sniff somewhere along the way
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

En_Route

Is Christina Aguilera slated to sing at her funeral? If so, I want the photographic evidence.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Sandra Craft

Quote from: En_Route on February 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
Is Christina Aguilera slated to sing at her funeral? If so, I want the photographic evidence.

No, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder will be singing, and Kevin Costner is going to speak.  We'll just have to wait and see if any of them wear anything plunging.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 19, 2012, 01:40:24 AM
Quote from: En_Route on February 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM

No, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder will be singing, and Kevin Costner is going to speak.  We'll just have to wait and see if any of them wear anything plunging.

Hmm. You folks are speaking in the future tense. I must be missing something. I was watching TV early this afternoon, and it looked like a funeral service to me. It was in a packed Baptist church, Kevin Costner was speaking/eulogizing her, etc... I only watched a few minutes of it, but... am I in the twilight zone?

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sweetdeath

Argh, so sick of hearing about this already. Every store in nyc is blasting her music. X_x
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 19, 2012, 03:29:17 AM
Argh, so sick of hearing about this already. Every store in nyc is blasting her music. X_x

You know the saying. When one person dies, we see it as a tragedy; when thousands die, we see it as statistics. The same day Whitney Houston died, thousands of other people across the world who we'll never hear of died, too. She temporarily gets the attention because she was famous, and had some talent. I saw video on the news of people sobbing in the streets over her. It's really unfortunate she died, just as it's unfortunate anyone does... but *shrug* none of us make it out of this world alive. I actually think it's much MORE of a shame that the one life she did have contained some pretty poor choices, but hey.