News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Women In Combat

Started by Ali, February 10, 2012, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reprobate

Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2012, 09:50:37 PM
Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 09:47:18 PMDavin, I'm not proposing that those conditions still apply or that the logic still makes sense, but that well established preconceptions tend to hold on long after their purpose is forgotten or becomes relevant.
Sorry, I'm just trying to reconcile this statement with your previous statement: you're very much against women being in combat for irrational reasons?

Re-read that post, Davin. I said that keeping women out of combat would mean that we are half way to what should be our objective. In other words, we should see the goal as being not to send anyone into combat. I know that's not realistic, but it's not a bad ideal.

Davin

Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 09:59:16 PM
Quote from: Davin on February 15, 2012, 09:50:37 PM
Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 09:47:18 PMDavin, I'm not proposing that those conditions still apply or that the logic still makes sense, but that well established preconceptions tend to hold on long after their purpose is forgotten or becomes relevant.
Sorry, I'm just trying to reconcile this statement with your previous statement: you're very much against women being in combat for irrational reasons?

Re-read that post, Davin. I said that keeping women out of combat would mean that we are half way to what should be our objective. In other words, we should see the goal as being not to send anyone into combat. I know that's not realistic, but it's not a bad ideal.
I've already read it at least ten times to make sure I was not misreading what you wrote, you said:
Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 09:21:27 PMI feel very strongly that women should be barred from combat.
Then proceeded to give an irrational justification for such. Were you innaccurate when you stated that or are you now correcting that statement? Maybe you could just restate what your opinion is and why you hold that opinion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Reprobate

Gavin, that's only half of what I wrote.

Traveler

I think what reprobate is trying to say is that no one should be in combat. With that, I agree. However, if ANYONE is in combat, I believe women should not be barred from it. Rather than being half the solution, it adds a different problem ... one of women being barred from something that they might want to do, and that's not the way to solve anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.

For me its all or nothing. Allow ALL people who quality to choose whether to serve in combat, or allow NO people to serve in combat. Halvsies doesn't cut it.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Reprobate

Quote from: Traveler on February 15, 2012, 10:42:09 PM
I think what reprobate is trying to say is that no one should be in combat. With that, I agree. However, if ANYONE is in combat, I believe women should not be barred from it. Rather than being half the solution, it adds a different problem ... one of women being barred from something that they might want to do, and that's not the way to solve anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.

For me its all or nothing. Allow ALL people who quality to choose whether to serve in combat, or allow NO people to serve in combat. Halvsies doesn't cut it.

Thanks, Taveler, that is what I intended to say, and thought that I did. I also admitted that I don't think it's a realistic goal, in a later post. Women have served and do serve in combat not only in other countries' military forces, but also in the US military. While they aren't allowed to serve in infantry, armor, or combat engineers, women have seen combat.

Davin

Quote from: Traveler on February 15, 2012, 10:42:09 PMI think what reprobate is trying to say is that no one should be in combat.
Aye, I got that, that was not the problem I was having with his statements. I tried to address the problems I was having, but I don't think it will be resolved. I wanted to know why he felt very strongly that women should be barred from combat, whether it was for the irrational justifications provided or something else.

Quote from: TravelerWith that, I agree. However, if ANYONE is in combat, I believe women should not be barred from it. Rather than being half the solution, it adds a different problem ... one of women being barred from something that they might want to do, and that's not the way to solve anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I agree with your sentiments. I see no reason to prevent someone from doing something they are qualified to do.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.