Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibm

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 06, 2012, 08:16:46 AM
Quote from: ibm on April 06, 2012, 05:24:55 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on April 03, 2012, 08:32:10 PM
If I ever have a daughter I will make sure that the first time her boyfriends come over I am affectionately polishing my swords.  ;)
Yes. Swords. Plural.

My sharp mouth made no difference to my daughter. The more I sharpened it the more grey hair I got.

I have two boys and one girl, all grownup. WHAT IS IT WITH GIRLS?!

"Daddy, I'm 18, I'll be working in Greece this summer. Bye."
6 weeks later: "High Daddy, I'm inside the Norwegian polar circle. I'll be biking my way down Oslo ... alone ... with $100. Bye."
4 weeks later: "High Dad, I'm in Auschwitz Poland, on my bike. Can we talk?"
Is it patience or dumbness from my part? I don't know.

I think I'll blame the "post-industrial blue-collar male-dominated job-extinction" of our time.

What you gonna do?! Sounds like a girl with adventure and drive. I like it. I'm guessing she made it to wherever it was she was going (metaphorically and physically)?

I'm sure that kinda think will scare the crap outa me, but we've just gotta suck it up and hope we've done our jobs well enough in the first place!

It scared the crap out of me all right. It also scares the crap out of her boyfriends. Her average relationship is about three months, after that, they run like hell.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 07, 2012, 12:28:27 AM
You're all right, of course. But I still don't like it! :-\

It's just because you care, and I always think that's a good thing. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Why..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 07, 2012, 02:28:50 AM

Indeed. We can only do what we think is right. And I do recognise that a little care need be taken to discern what is best for the little person and what is best for me! It's an inner battle that rages constantly.

My boy and I are just getting ready to leave for our drive over to Kent to compete in the National Mountain bike championships (U9 category). I've done all I can do to prepare him. It's all up to him now... May His Noodly Appendage grace our wheels...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on April 07, 2012, 08:05:51 AM
Why..?

Because I'm a human Father partially driven by emotion. Try it sometime... ;D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 07, 2012, 08:16:30 AM

Indeed. We can only do what we think is right. And I do recognise that a little care need be taken to discern what is best for the little person and what is best for me! It's an inner battle that rages constantly.

My boy and I are just getting ready to leave for our drive over to Kent to compete in the National Mountain bike championships (U9 category). I've done all I can do to prepare him. It's all up to him now... May His Noodly Appendage grace our wheels...
It's a very mixed time when they grow up. When we took my son down to London to go to college I was upset as I said goodbye. My wife and I went to have a cup of coffee before we set off back home. My wife is never prone to public displays of emotion. As I came back to the table with the coffees she burst out crying. She's never done that before or since for any reason. I'm not talking dribbley quiet tears I'm talking all out snotty sobbing. The whole café was wishing they were not there. It took her about 10 minutes to calm down. Needless to say I ended up joining in. What a pair we must have looked.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on April 07, 2012, 08:05:51 AM
Why..?
Before we had kids we'd read the books, attended the classes and listened to the advice. NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, we had read or heard in any way really prepared us for the reality of parenthood. Becoming a parent is a life changing experience beyond description. In my experience you have to be a parent, and all that that entails, to really understand what being a parent means. I can tell you how to ride a bike, 'Get on and peddle.', but the reality is quite different until you've learned how to do it, but the problem with parenthood is that by the time you've got the hang of it the kids have left home!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 07, 2012, 08:19:59 AM
Because I'm a human Father partially driven by emotion. Try it sometime... ;D
Ah! That explains it. Asmos run on cigarettes. Filling them with emotions is kind of like putting petrol in a diesel car.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2012, 08:50:28 AM

It's a very mixed time when they grow up. When we took my son down to London to go to college I was upset as I said goodbye. My wife and I went to have a cup of coffee before we set off back home. My wife is never prone to public displays of emotion. As I came back to the table with the coffees she burst out crying. She's never done that before or since for any reason. I'm not talking dribbley quiet tears I'm talking all out snotty sobbing. The whole café was wishing they were not there. It took her about 10 minutes to calm down. Needless to say I ended up joining in. What a pair we must have looked.

Cheers, Tank, you've got me going now...

Asmodean

May His Noodly Appendage grace our wheels...
Bah! Noodly Appendage!  >:(

The Great Deity of All Things Round, His Infernal Grayness Asmo the Terrible frowns upon such blasphemy.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

My boy just came in 6th. Of the NATIONAL FUCKING CHAMPIONSHIPS.  WOOHOOOOO!

Amicale

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 07, 2012, 12:43:18 PM

Oh, WOW!! Congrats to him!! Well done!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Damn! That's pretty good.

(There were more than 7 contenders, right?  ;D)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

And you call yourself a Nihilist! Shame on you ;D

Well done to Jnr!

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 07, 2012, 01:11:09 PM

Damn! That's pretty good.

(There were more than 7 contenders, right?  ;D)
You evil shit you!!

Exactly the same thought crossed my mind  :D