News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 12, 2012, 09:05:06 AM
Quote from: Willow on February 12, 2012, 07:50:56 AM
My five year old wants to be a scientist.  He talks about gravity and quantum physics and things at bedtime.  He says he's going to build a perpetual motion machine.  We home educate, so he doesn't have a bunch of other kids telling him being booksmart is uncool.
x
Willow.

Great stuff. Obviously a decent thinking brain being developed. Hope he fulfills his dreams!

I'm interested to know why you chose home schooling and how it works. Do you follow a curriculum? How often does he 'work'? What happens when he doesn't want to work? Is it a very structured routine?

I can't say I'd have the patience for it personally - I certainly admire the skill and professionalism of my kid's school teachers - and anyone who can make a success of home schooling.

It must be very liberating and satisfying.

We follow an autonomous path aka unschooling in the US.  So we have no curriculum and no "work".  We offer various leads, sometimes obviously sometimes subtley to encourage the children to think about some ideas.
Arrggh!  They're home!!!!!!!!!!! [flattened]

Siz

Quote from: Willow on February 15, 2012, 04:55:01 PM
My five year old wants to be a scientist.  He talks about gravity and quantum physics and things at bedtime.  He says he's going to build a perpetual motion machine.  We home educate, so he doesn't have a bunch of other kids telling him being booksmart is uncool.
x
Willow.

Great stuff. Obviously a decent thinking brain being developed. Hope he fulfills his dreams!

I'm interested to know why you chose home schooling and how it works. Do you follow a curriculum? How often does he 'work'? What happens when he doesn't want to work? Is it a very structured routine?

I can't say I'd have the patience for it personally - I certainly admire the skill and professionalism of my kid's school teachers - and anyone who can make a success of home schooling.

We follow an autonomous path aka unschooling in the US.  So we have no curriculum and no "work".  We offer various leads, sometimes obviously sometimes subtley to encourage the children to think about some ideas.

Never heard of 'unschooling' before so had to Google it. Sounds a bit like 'Motessouri at home'. Is that the gist of it? (Both my kids went to montessouri nursery until 4 yrs which we very much rated - particularly beneficial for boys).

How will you transition to more formal methods when (if) exams are required later in (teenage) life?

Feel free to tell more about your experiences, methods, outcomes, disbenefits and comparissons of your 'unschooling'.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Willow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 15, 2012, 05:35:19 PM
Quote from: Willow on February 15, 2012, 04:55:01 PM
x
Willow.

Never heard of 'unschooling' before so had to Google it. Sounds a bit like 'Motessouri at home'. Is that the gist of it? (Both my kids went to montessouri nursery until 4 yrs which we very much rated - particularly beneficial for boys).

How will you transition to more formal methods when (if) exams are required later in (teenage) life?

Feel free to tell more about your experiences, methods, outcomes, disbenefits and comparissons of your 'unschooling'.

Montesorri style education and autonomous home ed are definitely compatible ideas.  My boys do a Montesorri morning once a week, even A who is five and a half.  His coordination is not great, and it seems to help him.  Montesorri herself was writing in late C19th Italy and the theory is complete fruitloopery, but the modern practice is very child friendly.

Once our children get to be teenagers, I'm sure they can weigh up the merits of qualifications for themselves, but currently, if they want to do exams and the like, then I would have to pay several hundred pounds per GCSE.  I'm quite willing to pay this, and there is a reasonable chance the legislation will have changed by then.

It is extremely time consuming and very full on.  Home ed itself is not very expensive, but the cost of having a parent available seven days a week is.  We share this, with my Mum taking the boys two days a week (thanks Mum x).

The main idea we use is if we teach them some basic research techniques such as how to borrow books from the library and type things into Google, then everything else will follow, which for Arthur, it most definitely is.  Our younger son is nearly four and is just learning to read.

A good example of how Arthur thinks is that, at the moment, he avoids washing his hands when he can get away with it.  So I have ordered some microbiology books that are just a little bit too old for him.  This will be much more effective than telling him you he really has to wash his hands or he risks getting sick.

But that's why I'm a proud parent, because he is so very academically minded.  However he's still five and it could all change.

Willow.

DeterminedJuliet

I find home-schooling really interesting. I think, if we were independently wealthy, my husband and I would really consider doing it.
It's pretty uncommon in Canada, though, so I don't know how much trouble it would be to attempt.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

I am posting in this thread for an entirely different reason than bragging on my kid. I'm posting in it because it's a parents pride thread, and well, the person I'm proud of is my mom.  ;D

Last night I was helping her organize some stuff, including a ton of books in her room, and I came across a very dusty bible. I cleaned the dust off, and said 'I found your bible'. She answered with 'Oh, put it in the give-away pile.' I was surprised, and said 'Oh? You're not planning on reading it?' and she said 'nope, not anymore!' I asked, half jokingly, 'what, not a Christian anymore?' and she literally made a face, said 'Ugh!' and shook her head no. I was even more surprised. And then she added....

'The Church is so full of bullshit, and the last time I flipped through that thing, it was full of bullshit too. Crap about hell and God wanting people murdered. I didn't know that junk was in there. Some holy book! Ugh. Get rid of it!'

And very happily, I did. I'm so, so proud of her for thinking stuff through. This is the woman who used to talk all the time about Jesus without ever reading the bible. I asked her to for several years. Finally, it looks like she did. Yay! ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 17, 2012, 05:06:19 PM
I'm so, so proud of her for thinking stuff through. This is the woman who used to talk all the time about Jesus without ever reading the bible. I asked her to for several years. Finally, it looks like she did. Yay! ;D

And that's what so often happens when you do.  I say way to go to your mom too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on February 17, 2012, 05:06:19 PM
I am posting in this thread for an entirely different reason than bragging on my kid. I'm posting in it because it's a parents pride thread, and well, the person I'm proud of is my mom.  ;D

Last night I was helping her organize some stuff, including a ton of books in her room, and I came across a very dusty bible. I cleaned the dust off, and said 'I found your bible'. She answered with 'Oh, put it in the give-away pile.' I was surprised, and said 'Oh? You're not planning on reading it?' and she said 'nope, not anymore!' I asked, half jokingly, 'what, not a Christian anymore?' and she literally made a face, said 'Ugh!' and shook her head no. I was even more surprised. And then she added....

'The Church is so full of bullshit, and the last time I flipped through that thing, it was full of bullshit too. Crap about hell and God wanting people murdered. I didn't know that junk was in there. Some holy book! Ugh. Get rid of it!'

And very happily, I did. I'm so, so proud of her for thinking stuff through. This is the woman who used to talk all the time about Jesus without ever reading the bible. I asked her to for several years. Finally, it looks like she did. Yay! ;D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

I'm proud of my boy always asking, "Why?" Specially to religious things you're not supposed to have an answer to, only "faith."  ???
The other day:
My 8 year old son was looking at the calendar and asked me what Ash Wednesday was.
I said, "It a day when firemen get together once a year and burn wood by the beach."
He said, "Why?"
I said, "To celebrate fire."
He said, "That's a strange custom."
Five minutes later he said, "So, can we go to the beach on Wednesday and watch the firemen burn wood?"
I said, "I was joking, it's a religious custom where people go to church and a priest makes the sign of a cross on their foreheads with ash."
He said (as always) "Why?"
I said, "I don't know." (I really don't)
He said, "That's just as strange as firemen burning wood by the beach once a year to celebrate fire."  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

My son just phoned to say he'd just given a presentation on his PhD material. After he had finished the CEO of a company based in the US came over to him and asked if he wanted to work for them. He asked what the job was. The chap replied 'Anything you like.' And apparently he meant it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Tank on March 04, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
My son just phoned to say he'd just given a presentation on his PhD material. After he had finished the CEO of a company based in the US came over to him and asked if he wanted to work for them. He asked what the job was. The chap replied 'Anything you like.' And apparently he meant it.

Wheeeeeeeee!  Send Baby Tank on over.  We need more smarties.  :D

DeterminedJuliet

Nice!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on March 04, 2012, 06:02:06 PM

Wheeeeeeeee!  Send Baby Tank on over.  We need more smarties.  :D

I'll second that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Well his girlfriend is American and lives in Los Angeles so there is every probability he'll end up in the US.