News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Theists, how do you explain natural evil and bad design?

Started by yodachoda, January 01, 2012, 02:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genericguy

The simple answer is your god could have created us with the ability to reject cancer. A better design would be us without cancer. If you can't admit that then I don't know what else we can say.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Genericguy on January 17, 2012, 06:46:07 PM
The simple answer is your god could have created us with the ability to reject cancer. A better design would be us without cancer. If you can't admit that then I don't know what else we can say.

So you're saying that if god created us, he did so without the ability to reject cancer?  And you're making this argument on what basis of knowledge?  You know exactly how this god created us or you know that we don't have it in us to reject cancer?  Or is it some other knowledge you have, higher than this god?

You have yet to produce a better design...

Whitney

Quote from: Genericguy on January 17, 2012, 06:46:07 PM

There are a lot of theists who basically view life as a test; so having bad things in life is part of that test.  If the purpose of design is to test people then these bad things would be part of the desired design intent.  I'm not saying this is correct thinking...there are lots of moral issues to consider about the nature of a god who would test its creation in that kind of manner.

Some theists also think that all bad things are the devil's work...which is theologically unsound if they want to remain monotheistic as it basically means they believe in two gods...an evil one and a good one who are in competition with each other.

Anyway...point is that good (quality) and bad (incompetent) design depend on the purpose of that design.

A common thread to all religions is that they all have some method of avoiding suffering..I think that is because religions evolved to give purpose to what can be a very harsh existence for some.  And this is the reason why religious people can explain (some better than others of course) evil in the world as we define things that cause suffering as evil.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Whitney on January 17, 2012, 07:15:11 PM
Some theists also think that all bad things are the devil's work...which is theologically unsound if they want to remain monotheistic as it basically means they believe in two gods...an evil one and a good one who are in competition with each other.

While I may agree more than I disagree with your post, I disagree more with the above.  The simple fact is that if light exists, then so does darkness...and not necessarily as a "creation" or separate "god", if you will, existing.

Genericguy

Here are the possibilities that i see. Feel free to add more.

1. God is omnipotent and could have created us with the natural ability to reject cancer, but didn't. - mysterious ways.
2. God is omnipotent and couldn't create us with the natural ability to reject cancer. - omnipotence is null.
3. God is not omnipotent and couldn't create us with the natural ability to reject cancer. - god is null.
4. God is not omnipotent but could have created us with the natural ability to reject cancer, but didn't. god is null.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Genericguy on January 17, 2012, 07:24:34 PM
Here are the possibilities that i see. Feel free to add more.

1. God is omnipotent and could have created us with the natural ability to reject cancer, but didn't. - mysterious ways.
2. God is omnipotent and couldn't create us with the natural ability to reject cancer. - omnipotence is null.
3. God is not omnipotent and couldn't create us with the natural ability to reject cancer. - god is null.
4. God is not omnipotent but could have created us with the natural ability to reject cancer, but didn't. god is null.

These are all that you see?

How do you know any of these true?  (again you go assuming an answer...twice now.)

Genericguy

Please provide other options. I'm really trying to understand what you believe and why.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Genericguy on January 17, 2012, 07:31:23 PM
Please provide other options. I'm really trying to understand what you believe and why.

Actually you're not.  You've provided the answer you believe I give for this twice already.

Let's stick to what you perceive as 'true'.

Again...how do YOU know the above assertions are/is true?

Genericguy

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 07:28:42 PM

How do you know any of these true?  (again you go assuming an answer...twice now.)

I don't think any of them are true. If your unwilling to provide your own perspective, I'm forced to imagine it myself. Please provide your own. As I said "feel free to add more."

Edit: please understand my tone of type is intended to be calm. I understand emotion can be confusing with out a voice.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Genericguy on January 17, 2012, 07:41:54 PM
I don't think any of them are true. If your unwilling to provide your own perspective, I'm forced to imagine it myself. Please provide your own. As I said "feel free to add more."

Edit: please understand my tone of type is intended to be calm. I understand emotion can be confusing with out a voice.

Kind of like you imagined my answer(s) to be, "God works in mysterious ways." as the end-all answer?  Please note, I'm also "speaking" in calm tones, but when one assumes another's position, it is difficult to imagine the discussion is a discussion and not simply a ploy to chalk up another point on the Atheism side...

If you do not think any of those points to be true, what is your point in saying or agreeing that the design is "flawed"?  Have you a better design?

Ali

Better design = humans incapable of getting cancer.  Unless humans getting cancer serves god's purpose, in which case, see my thoughts on a "loving god".

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on January 17, 2012, 08:13:30 PM
Better design = humans incapable of getting cancer.  Unless humans getting cancer serves god's purpose, in which case, see my thoughts on a "loving god".

That is not a design.  It's a thought.  That is only, "Rocks are better for home building because they don't promote termite infestation..."  And yet...the homes go built predominantly with wood.

Show me a design better than what we have/are now.  Implement your design...

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 08:16:19 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 17, 2012, 08:13:30 PM

That is not a design.  It's a thought.  That is only, "Rocks are better for home building because they don't promote termite infestation..."  And yet...the homes go built predominantly with wood.

Show me a design better than what we have/are now.  Implement your design...

Human genes + cancer resistant gene = better design.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on January 17, 2012, 08:17:46 PM

LOL...yes another great thought. 

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 17, 2012, 08:17:46 PM

LOL...yes another great thought. 

Okay snark.  So you disagree that us having the cancer resistant gene would be a better design?