News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Many Lives, Many Masters

Started by Good and Godless, November 03, 2011, 03:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good and Godless

A good friend of mine recommended this book to me.  She claimed it would change my life.  For anyone who doesn't know about it, it's written by a psychiatrist who had a patient with anxiety.  Through hypnosis, he started hearing about her "other lives".  This doctor claims to have been a skeptic whose life and beliefs were forever changed in his dealings with this patient.  The story goes that the woman can channel "The Masters" (spiritual gurus out in the collective subconscious) who use this woman to send [trite] messages to the doctor about how things really are with people's souls and the meaning of life, etc.  So far in the book, the woman is going through her past lives and learning why she is so anxious in her current life.

I'm about halfway through it and it's a quick read.  I'm trying really hard to read it with an open mind for the sake of my friend, who is by all means a well-meaning and fairly rational person.  She knows I'm an atheist and has been there as a discussion partner during my progression away from religion.  She was raised Christian and now is "open-minded" about spirituality.  I think she buys the idea of reincarnation.  She was really enthusiastic about the book. 

Anyway, I'll finish the book.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has read it and what you thought about it. 
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

Tank

I have not read the book and I admire your fortitude in reading it! I read rather slowly and I have to be engaged by the material or I just stop.

My wife is a highly intelligent, well educated,  sceptical atheist. But she has a soft spot for prior lives and visits mediums for a laugh. So I'll ask her if she knows of it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.