News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Evolutionary Tree of Life for Mammals Greatly Improved

Started by Tank, September 23, 2011, 07:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Evolutionary Tree of Life for Mammals Greatly Improved

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 23, 2011) — An international research team led by biologists at the University of California, Riverside and Texas A&M University has released for the first time a large and robust DNA matrix that has representation for all mammalian families. The matrix -- the culmination of about five years of painstaking research -- has representatives for 99 percent of mammalian families, and covers not only the earliest history of mammalian diversification but also all the deepest divergences among living mammals...

So far the Mammal matrix cross refers 164 species which creates a framework upon which to add over 5,000 more species as genetic information becomes available. By calibrating the timelines and relationships with known fossils the process will produce a detailed and robust map of our (mammal) ancestry.

In due course it should be possible to estimate when particular morphological changes took place, such as flight in bats, and then go look for the fossils in appropriatly dated sedimentary rocks, thus actively filling in morphological gaps with specifically pre-identified (by characteristics) 'transitional' (or more accurately pre-adapted) species.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

The Magic Pudding

I already improved our evolutionary tree.
Halloween's coming up, I wonder who'd look good on a spike?
OldGit looks like a potential victim, you're not the guy with the berry bush Brian's followers attacked are you?

OldGit

Now you come to mention it, Pudding, I never saw a more likely head for a spike than yours. ;D

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: OldGit on September 23, 2011, 04:40:26 PM
Now you come to mention it, Pudding, I never saw a more likely head for a spike than yours. ;D

Hey,,, you get your own Halloween theme, else I'll send my assistant over!