News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Black Hole Science (I know, I know, but I couldn't wait...)

Started by Rizuidad, July 21, 2011, 04:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizuidad

Ai! No me mata, no me mata! I just really wanted to share this and I couldn't wait for the fifty post count. I repent! *sob sob*

Black hole science is exceedingly interesting. The difficultly of discerning what happens when an object falls through an event horizon has proven mathematically astounding. Interestingly enough, a new theory has garnered some attention, involving what happens when one stretches space time infinitely after rejigging the equations to remove time from them.

If we believe that the center of a black hole is infinitely dense, it goes to follow that the point at which light can not escape is the event horizon, which encircles 3-dimensionally the black hole. However, noting that gravity is the stretching of space and time, we can also discern that any object at the event horizon would be infinitely far away from the center of the black hole. Given this, the forces at work would balance perfectly to prevent any object from moving any closer, or any farther away from, the event horizon. Yet, within the event horizon, space would be ballooned infinitely, allowing objects to move and play out unharmed and unmolested their own little bubble: A universe within a universe.

Thus, entire galaxies could fit inside these black holes, entire universe upon universes upon universes, cascading down into infinity. The scientific community is aware of the poetic beauty of the theory. It does seem promising. Mathematically, the jury is out. But It does look promising.

Whitney

Ragnar

I would have thought that gravity would compress space-time, not stretch it.

To the best of our current understanding Space-Time is being stretched by Dark Energy, which basically has the opposite effect of gravit.,
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ragnar on July 24, 2011, 05:22:04 AM
I would have thought that gravity would compress space-time, not stretch it.

I does, but only on week ends and holidays.

Rizuidad

Perhaps I can explain better. The singularity is infinitely small. And space is being stretched inwards, towards the singularity. Thus, space is stretched infinitely towards the point. Once you hit the event horizon, you keep falling, but you never get any closer. You cant leave, however. Of course, something else can fall faster if It's more dense. Fall slower. Since your not at the event horizon, all the rules of physics still apply.