News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Jury Duty

Started by Whitney, April 06, 2011, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

I work the late night shift at the bowling center. So I'm able to go to jury duty. I did get called a few months ago. Did the calling in for a week. Never got called. Boo. I really wanted to go. I love love LOVE judge shows! I watch them on my cell phone on my break at work! It would be like Judge Judy LIVE and in person! I was even excited when I had to go to traffic school and hear all the  I DIDN'T SEE THE RED LIGHT YOUR HONOR stories. Was quite fun!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

roy1967

I was called for jury duty three years ago in the summer. When the attorneys began questioning of potential jurors, the judge announced that the trial was expected to last three weeks, perhaps more.  It was a medical malpractice lawsuit.  A chorus of groans went up at the announcement.

I had never been through the process before.  I believe it is my duty as a citizen to be there when my name is called.  I would expect the same from other people if my ass were on the line.  

There was actually someone there whom I knew (he had worked for me) and we sat together.  People had various excuses for trying to get out of their obligations, but after the first time we heard "I'm afraid my religious beleifs would conflict with this trial", and was dismissed, it was incredible how many hands were raised when the judge finally simply asked potential jurors en masse if the case would conflict with religious beliefs.  My former worker raised his hand and was dismissed.  I knew him better than that, it was bullshit.  As it was for many of those people, including some who had already been told that their other conflict wouldn't count for dismissal.

In the end, I was chosen.  The trial lasted a month, it was a good experience.  I learned more about the Thyroid in four weeks than I really needed to know in my entire life.  But it also only soured me even more towards religion and how people wield it.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Whitney

My problem with jury duty is that it doesn't pay well enough to offset the hardship of my not being able to work if called to sit on a jury for more than a day or two.  If I had to sit on a jury for a month I'd be out of a month's pay (getting only a small portion back from the court in compensation) and not being able to work isn't an acceptable excuse to be dismissed.  I think they should take further steps to ensure that being called for long term trials isn't going to cause financial strain on those who would otherwise make more than minimum wage and don't have an employee compensation program for long term jury duty.

I was very happy when all I had to do was show up, be called to a court waiting room then be dismissed because the trial was settled...was home before lunch and able to get my work done.