News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Pets...what do you have?

Started by Whitney, June 22, 2006, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Hmmm.. Let's see, I have a ball python; a chinese water dragon; a horse; two greyhounds, Italian and full size rescue; two cats; and soon to be red tailed boa. I live in a zoo.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on November 19, 2011, 10:20:43 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 19, 2011, 01:31:48 AM
This is Rocky. He was a barn cat that I adopted a five years ago and was the first "real" pet I've ever owned on my own. He's kind of a douchebag, but I love him. He's "alpha-cat" and has a love-hate relationship with my husband - he only ever really gives my husband cuddles, but he also ambushes my husband's ankles from time to time. He pretty much ignores me.

Do you think the ambush is meant to be belligerent or playful?  Boots pounces on my legs from time to time.  I interpret it as play.  She and I play like a couple of cats would.  I chase her and she runs away but keeps coming back so I can chase her again.  Sometimes she lets me grab her and then we wrestle a bit, with her biting my hands and wrists (with restraint, of course) and then I toss her in the air so she lands on my bed - and back she comes for more!  :)

Oh, it's totally a belligerent attack with claws and teeth and blood and whatnot. My husband has scars from them.

I think it's because he wasn't properly socialized as a kitten. At the time, I didn't realize how important it was for a kitten to learn some manners from his mother and other kittens, so I took him home far too young. I think it's left him a little mal-adjusted, in ways.

He doesn't do it as often, now, though. I think he's starting to realize that he has probably the cushiest life imaginable. My biggest struggle now is trying to keep him from getting too fat.  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

MariaEvri

I have lotsa fish, two white zebra finches, one green iguana and 3-4 stray cats which I consider them my own
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 20, 2011, 03:53:49 PM
Oh, it's totally a belligerent attack with claws and teeth and blood and whatnot. My husband has scars from them.

I think it's because he wasn't properly socialized as a kitten. At the time, I didn't realize how important it was for a kitten to learn some manners from his mother and other kittens, so I took him home far too young. I think it's left him a little mal-adjusted, in ways.

He doesn't do it as often, now, though. I think he's starting to realize that he has probably the cushiest life imaginable. My biggest struggle now is trying to keep him from getting too fat.  :P

Did he ever do this with other people?  It may have just taken him awhile to warm up to your husband, sometimes cats dislike people for reasons that just can't be understood.  I lived with a cat once who absolutely hated one of my brothers -- whenever he visited she would hide behind doors, then leap out and bite his ankle when walked by.  It was a good thing he was a cat lover.

This is Deirdre, the cat who currently keeps me as staff and has only bitten vets and groomers:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 19, 2011, 12:32:40 PM
That swiftest and most merciful kill thing, it's like so many other religious values, they may have been best practice in their day, but their day is thousands of years past.  Best practice now would be to kill the things as near possible to where they lived, stunning them makes sense, pointing to Mecca doesn't, a bolt to the head is quicker than a sliced throat.

A really excellent point that has got me thinking about the very notion of tradition and how detrimental it can sometimes be.  Principles taught for centuries can be OK, but specific actions taught for centuries will eventually be outmoded and best discarded.

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 19, 2011, 06:33:10 PM
Hmmm.. Let's see, I have a ball python; a chinese water dragon; a horse; two greyhounds, Italian and full size rescue; two cats; and soon to be red tailed boa. I live in a zoo.

I love greyhounds! They are so sweet - like noble little horses.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 22, 2011, 01:22:28 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 19, 2011, 06:33:10 PM

I love greyhounds! They are so sweet - like noble little horses.

For being the fastest dogs in the world, they are both the biggest couch potatoes XD
Cloe is the big one in front, Zoe is the little one in back.

Here is one of my dork of a big brother and Zoe

And lastly for tonight, a quick pic of the Hermanator after dinner and a bath
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Do you ever take that lizard out of its container? My father told me that he had a lizard once, but the maid mistook it for a wild thing and killed it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Oh yea, I take him out all the time. He is a lot bigger than the picture makes him look. He is about 18 inches from snout to tail tip. He likes to sit on my laptop when I work on homework because it's warm. Sometimes he comes to school and stays in the agriculture classroom and I'll show him off.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 22, 2011, 03:45:07 AM
Oh yea, I take him out all the time. He is a lot bigger than the picture makes him look. He is about 18 inches from snout to tail tip. He likes to sit on my laptop when I work on homework because it's warm. Sometimes he comes to school and stays in the agriculture classroom and I'll show him off.
That is so cool. I would have loved to have done that when I was a kid. There was a lad who used to bring a Grass Snake sometimes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Fi

Man, people have some serious zoo collections going on here. I can't imagine cleaning that many cages, but still, awesome.

I have two rats and a hilariously dysfunctional kitty.

Asmodean

Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 09:00:21 AM
I have two rats
Asmodean and The Beloved Small Ones approve.

and a hilariously dysfunctional kitty.
Well, as long as it doesn't try to hunt rats...  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Fi

Worry not, Asmodean and the Beloved Small Ones-- kitty is a gentle soul. Either that or the worst hunter ever.

Back when I had gerbils, she figured out how to get the cage open... and... crawled inside it. I came home, saw the cat in the cage, went "OH SHIT," and then realized she was just sleeping. With the gerbils curled up asleep next to her.

(The rat cage is much more secure.)

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 09:17:02 AM
Back when I had gerbils, she figured out how to get the cage open... and... crawled inside it. I came home, saw the cat in the cage, went "OH SHIT," and then realized she was just sleeping. With the gerbils curled up asleep next to her.

Dear Magic Pudding: Behold the true nature of the bowl-fed domestic cat.  8)
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on November 22, 2011, 07:24:54 AM
That is so cool. I would have loved to have done that when I was a kid. There was a lad who used to bring a Grass Snake sometimes.

My animal science teacher loves my criiters. She one taught the whole class with Herman on her shoulder. It was hilarious. I just realized that I have quite a few nicknames for Herman. Herman, Hermanator, Godzirra, Green One, and Great Green Lizard.

I am thinking that sometime when Herman gets bigger, I'll get him a lady lizard so that we can have baby Hermans.

Quote from: Fi on November 22, 2011, 09:00:21 AM
Man, people have some serious zoo collections going on here. I can't imagine cleaning that many cages, but still, awesome.

The dogs get let out, the cat's have their litter box, Herman's tank is a self-sustaining ecosystem; all I have ho do is change the filters once a month, and Thea the ball python is pretty clean. Only goes about once a month and slows down in the winter.