Pets...what do you have?

Started by Whitney, June 22, 2006, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2017, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 28, 2017, 05:36:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2017, 12:44:43 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 28, 2017, 12:40:56 AM
It's very hard to decide between quality of life vs. quantity of life, esp. when you have to make the decision for someone who can't tell you what they'd want.  All I can go with is the fairly useless advice to follow your instincts. No matter what you do, it's going to be painful and you'll be second-guessing yourself afterwards.

That's what I feared, but I believe you're right. :sad sigh:

I can only only agree with that and really, really feel for you during this very trying time.

Thanks Hermes. You have a gorgeous parrot by the way...and that intelligent eye!

Thanks. I know everybody says this about their pets, but she is often able to follow a human conversation and even responds intelligently.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Pasta Chick

There's a spectrum when it comes to euthanasia. On one end, you have never euthanize, ever, all beings should have a natural death. On the other, you have the idea that no animal should experience any level of pain, ever, and no invasive procedure, long recovery time or chronic issue should ever be endured. Is better for them to die than deal with this regardless of prognosis. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, and where exactly depends on the animal as well as the owner. Almost everyone told me to euthanize my first Husky, who had a massive tumor on his liver. But he wanted to go on walks, run agility, play with me and wrestle with his dog friends... he had sore days and didn't eat well but he always had sore days and never ate well. I didn't think it right to end that, even if it may end badly, soon (tumors of this nature typically hemorrhage). My girl now... Well, she once woke me up to cuddle her because she had a tummy ache. I don't suspect she'll want to shove through that sort of thing the way he did, if it comes to that.

I think you will have more clarity when the time is really right, but based on what you're writing I don't think any time is truly wrong. I assume she has DM? Which thankfully doesn't hurt, so it becomes more about all the garbage DM causes and how the two of you are coping with that.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 28, 2017, 11:48:31 PM
There's a spectrum when it comes to euthanasia. On one end, you have never euthanize, ever, all beings should have a natural death. On the other, you have the idea that no animal should experience any level of pain, ever, and no invasive procedure, long recovery time or chronic issue should ever be endured. Is better for them to die than deal with this regardless of prognosis. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, and where exactly depends on the animal as well as the owner. Almost everyone told me to euthanize my first Husky, who had a massive tumor on his liver. But he wanted to go on walks, run agility, play with me and wrestle with his dog friends... he had sore days and didn't eat well but he always had sore days and never ate well. I didn't think it right to end that, even if it may end badly, soon (tumors of this nature typically hemorrhage). My girl now... Well, she once woke me up to cuddle her because she had a tummy ache. I don't suspect she'll want to shove through that sort of thing the way he did, if it comes to that.

I think you will have more clarity when the time is really right, but based on what you're writing I don't think any time is truly wrong. I assume she has DM? Which thankfully doesn't hurt, so it becomes more about all the garbage DM causes and how the two of you are coping with that.

The vet thinks she has degenerative myelopathy, but we didn't perform any tests to know for sure. Added to that she also has hip dysplasia, which could be causing her pain? The vet suggested against giving her anti-inflammatory medication because it could give her diarrhea, and she doesn't like to feel dirty so she eats her faeces if we don't remove them fast enough (which probably causes us more distress than it does her). We do give her painkillers though, especially when it's night and we rarely wake up to turn her over. She complains a lot, but then again she always was a frequent whimperer (I'm am told it is a German Shepherd thing). 

I'm somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, I don't believe a life should be ended at the first signs of discomfort or suffering, or even when the prognosis is bad and the animal is in the early stages of the disease, but also think it's the merciful thing to do when the animal is clearly suffering a lot, and constantly.

It's tough. We can't leave her unattended for more than a few hours at a time, and have to constantly cover the wounds on her hip so that she doesn't picking at the wound and to keep flies from depositing their eggs. She also has to be turned over frequently.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Silver, euthanasia is not cruel.  When the time comes, it is merciful and is the ultimate act of love and compassion.  With someone as caring as you are, the decision is heart rending.  According to your description of the symptoms, the time is here.

I make these remarks mindful of the four boxes of ashes near my writing station. They are the cremated remains of furry creatures who have given me joy and love and companionship and unquestioned loyalty.  I am tearful as I type this. Tearful for my own lost companions and also tearful for the terrible decision that you must make.

xSilverPhinx

The vet is coming in half an hour to euthanise her. Her condition has deteriorated further, and she shouldn't be made to suffer more. 

I've been preparing myself for a long time, but not that it's really going to happen I feel really sad. Really sad.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 15, 2018, 03:28:09 PM
The vet is coming in half an hour to euthanise her. Her condition has deteriorated further, and she shouldn't be made to suffer more. 

I've been preparing myself for a long time, but not that it's really going to happen I feel really sad. Really sad.
I'm sorry Silver.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Saddened to hear the news. Try to remember all the good times and the love you shared.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

She's gone. I must have lived a sheltered life, as I haven't felt this amount of grief in a long time. 

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 15, 2018, 05:06:21 PM
She's gone. I must have lived a sheltered life, as I haven't felt this amount of grief in a long time.
I know that feeling. It'll pass. But let out anyway.  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

My sincere condolences.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

I'm sorry to hear this. This is so sad.  :therethere:
You dog was lucky to have you, you were both lucky to have each other's company for as long as you did. I don't know what else to say...I don't think there's anything I can say that will make the sadness go away.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

I'm sorry to hear this xSP,...sorry for your loss, sorry for your poor doggy, and sorry you are sad.

Take care.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Neither of us believe in heaven but I want desperately to believe in the rainbow Bridge. Our best ever friends are hopefully there.   I hope this poem might comfort you a little bit.....
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Harmonie

I'm so sorry, my family recently had to put a beloved dog down, too. It was recommended by the vet that it had to be done. I couldn't be there to say goodbye to her, because I had just returned back to my college town from Thanksgiving Break.

It breaks my heart that I didn't get to say goodbye to her... I was there for her last days, but not the last day or moment itself.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sandra Craft

I'm so sorry, unfortunately the intense grief is normal.  You won't get over it, but eventually you'll learn to live with it. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany