News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

The Bible and Sex

Started by Sophus, February 10, 2011, 08:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

I've mentioned at least a few times here that the Bible doesn't portray sex in the way modern Christians think it does. That it's been a meme developed by Catholicism and lasting ever since. Now, here's an article that explains this a little more in depth.

Quote from: "Lisa Miller"What does the Bible really say about sex? Two new books written by university scholars for a popular audience try to answer this question. Infuriated by the dominance in the public sphere of conservative Christians who insist that the Bible incontrovertibly supports sex within the constraints of “traditional marriage,” these authors attempt to prove otherwise. Jennifer Wright Knust and Michael Coogan mine the Bible for its earthiest and most inexplicable tales about sexâ€"Jephthah, who sacrifices his virgin daughter to God; Naomi and Ruth, who vow to love one another until deathâ€"to show that the Bible’s teachings on sex are not as coherent as the religious right would have people believe. In Knust’s reading, the Song of Solomon is a paean to unmarried sex, outside the conventions of family and community.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

JoeBobSmith

:verysad:
JoeBobSmith

JoeBobSmith

:yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :bananacolor:
JoeBobSmith

terranus

QuoteMaybe Dan Brown could write a Davinci Code "perv edition"

it would sell like hot cakes

Hell yeah! I'd read it. Might even pre-order it off of Amazon.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--