News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's Civility on HAF?

Started by Will, February 09, 2011, 11:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Quote from: Ateo on January 07, 2012, 12:27:48 PM
You should show everyone civility, but what anyone says or thinks, publicly, must stand on it's own. Shoot the message full of holes, that will wound the messenger.

Civility, respect, political correctness .......... shields that religious lunatics hide behind while not showing civility, respect, political correctness or sanity, to the rest of the world. It is generally accepted that religious freedom gives everyone the right to say what they "believe", make a clip about what they "believe",  put it on YouTube, and do so with impunity. I call bullsh*t.

What other field of knowledge allows this?  Mathematics, any of the sciences? No, you have to immediately prove what you say is true or show reproducible experiments that verify your statements. If you don't, the responses will be devastating and immediate, you will be classified as untouchable. Publishing will be close to impossible for you and your career will go no further.

This serves as a bench mark for new scientific ideas and could be a wake up call for half baked ideas. This is an advantage to all professional and lay people and it's an advantage that should be extended to television evangelists, internet evangelists, door to door preachers as well as any and all forms of "missionary" work.

Am I wrong or is missionary work always unsolicited?  Why?
I have a feeling that I'm gonna like you. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

werewolf

everybody should have the right to express their views.every body should e able to respect others views bcoz that's what makes it so interesting

technolud

Absolutely.  Whats the fun in talking with a bunch of folk who agree with you?  Even my dog doesn't agree with me. 

En_Route

Quote from: technolud on May 08, 2012, 11:23:21 PM
Absolutely.  Whats the fun in talking with a bunch of folk who agree with you?  Even my dog doesn't agree with me. 

He presumably tbinks you are barking up the wrong tree.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Have some of us (I include myself) been a bit quick to cry troll lately?
I don't think we need to feel gullible if one slips by.
It's understandable people don't want to waste time answering disingenuous questions but vigilance has a cost.
Should we keep our suspicions to ourselves a bit longer rather than suggesting someone may be a troll?

Quote from: Medusa on July 22, 2011, 08:19:31 PM
Jesus. You are weary and leery of new poeple.

Sometimes we probably are.  At times I share the suspicion other times I think geez lighten up, we don't have to question the motivation of every question.  Trolls no doubt cause mods inconvenience but they don't trouble me much at all.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 14, 2012, 06:53:40 AM
Have some of us (I include myself) been a bit quick to cry troll lately?
I don't think we need to feel gullible if one slips by.
It's understandable people don't want to waste time answering disingenuous questions but vigilance has a cost.
Should we keep our suspicions to ourselves a bit longer rather than suggesting someone may be a troll?

Quote from: Medusa on July 22, 2011, 08:19:31 PM
Jesus. You are weary and leery of new poeple.

Sometimes we probably are.  At times I share the suspicion other times I think geez lighten up, we don't have to question the motivation of every question.  Trolls no doubt cause mods inconvenience but they don't trouble me much at all.
I agree with this. Essentially if a member suspect a troll they should report the posts of the suspected troll. Branding a member a troll in public is uncivil.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Yes I made that mistake already. I apologized though.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Firebird

I may have done that today. But it was more of a warning not to go any further rather than an accusation. I think.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

McQ

Quote from: Firebird on May 15, 2012, 03:21:48 AM
I may have done that today. But it was more of a warning not to go any further rather than an accusation. I think.

I read your post and I think it was completely appropriate. No problem with it. Also, by questioning yourself on it you've demonstrated that you have the conscience to self-check. A good trait to possess.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Firebird

Thank you McQ, I really appreciate that.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Icarus

Civility is one of the reasons that I landed at the HAF site. You appear to be running a tight ship. I like that.

To be clear, it should be noted that I am entirely capable of being a mean SOB but I find that trait to be very rarely appropriate or necessary.  I believe that it was Jimmy Carter who is credited with the wisdom; "We can disagree without being disagreeable".

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on July 02, 2012, 11:56:40 PM
I believe that it was Jimmy Carter who is credited with the wisdom; "We can disagree without being disagreeable".
I don't know about "wisdom"... Looks like an observation of the more regular variety, that.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Non Quixote

It is difficult to keep a civil tongue (or keyboard) when someone's being willfully ignorant or purposefully obtuse, but it can be done.  The alternative is we just shout insults at each other which gets very boring very quickly in my experience.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Ali

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 03:26:46 PM
It is difficult to keep a civil tongue (or keyboard) when someone's being willfully ignorant or purposefully obtuse, but it can be done.  The alternative is we just shout insults at each other which gets very boring very quickly in my experience.

Unless the insults are creative.  Creative insults are hilarious.  Oooh, I think that would make a fun thread.

Tank

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 03:26:46 PM
It also gets you banned!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.