News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Proof That the Bible is the Word of God?

Started by Victoria_R, December 01, 2010, 12:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria_R

[youtube:akmun1ag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDv00fe-Gk[/youtube:akmun1ag]

Ok apparently this guy has been going around and cherry picking morons off that street to make them look foolish and talking circles around them to prove the deity is real.

How would you combat his silly little spiel because it is a bit tricky...Especially if you step where he leads the conversation about the prophecy passage.

I can pretty much guarantee you that I would have made the same comment that the passage speaks of Jesus as most people would. The question then becomes how can we get out of the tangle he gets you in once you have already admitted that it is Jesus?

Whitney

My resposne (prob would have assumed it was talking about Jesus too):

As with most if not all claimed prophecy in the Bible...so what?  All that tells us is that someone decided to write a story about a man that fit previous writings...if there isn't collaborating evidence from outside sources it's not any more amazing than 'prophecy' contained within Greek Mythology.

elliebean

It is pretty amazing, though, how those prophets somehow knew hundreds of years beforehand that someone else would make up another story about the same character!  ;)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

RosaRubicondior

What's amazing that people would write about a character from the book they regarded as prophetic?  Their aim was to persuade people the Jesus was the fulfilment of that prophesy.

There is a prophesy the King Arthur will return to 'save' England in time of need.  If I wrote a book about a character and claimed he was King Arthur, would you find that 'amazing' enough to convince you that my book was factual, and even divinely inspired?

ColdDimSum

I would say -- Wow, so they made up the story of Jesus even BEFORE the late-1st century?  Like Mithra and Osiris

Asmodean

Quote from: "RosaRubicondior"What's amazing that people would write about a character from the book they regarded as prophetic?
What's amazing is that there are people who actually think that crap is for real...  :|
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

elliebean

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "RosaRubicondior"What's amazing that people would write about a character from the book they regarded as prophetic?
What's amazing is that there are people who actually think that crap is for real...  :P
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Cite134

Quote from: "Victoria_R"[youtube:346uzxqp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDv00fe-Gk[/youtube:346uzxqp]

quote]

So? There are plenty of stories that dealt with virgin births and divinity BEFORE the Old Testament. They are stories. He hasn't provided any evidence at all of these divine stories actaully happening.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

fazFwQo83

This may help: The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors - http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/cv/wscs/index.htm

It's a book, written by Kersey Graves in 1875. Even in 1875, some people knew that these kinds of stories and prophesies were common amongst many religions that predated Christ. The Bible stories are nothing new people!

EDIT:
Also, the people who wrote the New Testament, had read the Old Testament. They were Jewish (before Christ came along). They knew the prophecies well. So, when something/someone comes along that matches some general description, they say "that MUST be it". Not to mention that the authors of the NT never actually met Jesus, so their writings are (at best) based on hearsay and are NOT an eye-witness account of what happened. Add to this, the fact that the NT was written between 20 and 200 years AFTER the crucifixion - it's not like Jesus had scribes following him around and writing down everything he said and did.

There's also a conflict within The Bible itself that relates to this. In Mat 5:17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV), Jesus states that he has come to fulfill the law and the prophets, not abolish them. Yet, according to OT Law, human sacrifice is unacceptable to God, so Christ's sacrifice goes against the very laws he claimed to fulfill. There's also the issue of God's 1st commandment, thou shalt have no other gods before me, and then Jesus comes along and says, the only way to get to the father is through me. These are fundamental contradictions that the NT writers obviously didn't spot at the time of writing these books and are just some of the reasons that Jews reject Jesus as The Messiah.

Gawen

Quote from: "elliebean"It is pretty amazing, though, how those prophets somehow knew hundreds of years beforehand that someone else would make up another story about the same character!  ;)
*chucklin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Gawen

Quote from: "Victoria_R"The question then becomes how can we get out of the tangle he gets you in once you have already admitted that it is Jesus?
Just vecause you can cherry pick your delusions....doesn't make them real.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor