News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

ni hao from the new girl

Started by thirtiesgirl, November 29, 2010, 03:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtiesgirl

Hi kids, I'm thirtiesgirl.  My username refers not to my age (sadly), but an era.  I enjoy the history, style and decor of the 1930s, as well as the '20s, '40s, hipster-boho '50s, mod '60s, post-punk '70s and new wave '80s.  I live in Southern California and work in public education as a school counselor.  During the 10 years I've worked in education, I've discovered that a lot of my co-workers are very religious, drawn to helping others as if mandated by their religious beliefs.  (I'm sure many of them would argue that's not the only reason they work in education, and I'll admit to being a little facetious and over-generalizing in my assumption here.)  Point being, it can sometimes be hard to have conversations with my co-workers that don't include religion, a mention of "god," or at least include the idea that not all of us subscribe to magical thinking.  ...Which is what brings me to this site, among other things (the 'other things' largely including :blush:   ...Ach, damn.  I used an emoticon.  Kill me now.  I was so hoping to get through my first post without one.

...Oh, and apologies for the un-accented Chinese in my post title, for those who care about such things.  I'm no good with the special characters.
Misery's the river of the world; everybody row.  -Tom Waits

legs laney

Quote from: "thirtiesgirl":hide:
welcome.
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "thirtiesgirl"Ach, damn.  I used an emoticon.  Kill me now.  I was so hoping to get through my first post without one.

Well at least your trying, not like some perverse posters of psychedelic poseur fruits.

Welcome

thirtiesgirl

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "thirtiesgirl"Ach, damn.  I used an emoticon.  Kill me now.  I was so hoping to get through my first post without one.

Well at least your trying, not like some perverse posters of psychedelic poseur fruits.

Welcome

Danke schoen.  I do what I can.  :idea:   :D    :headbang:   roflol    :|    :cool:   :P
Misery's the river of the world; everybody row.  -Tom Waits

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

wildfire_emissary

Hello! The forum members employed in educational institutions are growing and you are a new addition. Welcome!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

karadan

Welcome to the fold. It gets cozy here in winter.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Hi thirtiesgirl

Welcome aboard, I've been away for a couple of weeks an I'm playing catch up on my greeting duties!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.