News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Freud was right – we are attracted to our relatives

Started by Tank, November 02, 2010, 06:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Freud was right â€" we are attracted to our relatives

Starts on the right column of page 875.

QuoteFreud said there’d be no need
for incest to be such a powerful
cultural taboo if people weren’t
sexually attracted to their
relatives in the first place. Given
that in-breeding is associated
with increased mortality, he
argued that the incest taboo
had emerged as way to keep
our dangerous incestuous
desires in check. Evolutionary
psychologists take a strikingly
different view. Inspired by
Edward Westermarck, the
Finnish sociologist and
anthropologist, they argue that
we’ve evolved automatic
psychological processes that
lead us to find our relatives
sexually aversive, not attractive,
thus decreasing the likelihood
of in-breeding occurring. Who’s
right â€" Freud or Westermarck?..

Make very interesting reading, particularly with regard to sperm and egg donation where the offspring would appear to be destined to find each other particularly sexually attractive if they are not aware of their own genetic linkage.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Apparently Freud didn't meet my family.....  Ewwwww and hell no on all accounts.  Out of 30 cousins...... yeah, no, wouldn't even consider it. And the brother?  Not even if he were the last male on earth and the species depended on it.

However, I do believe my dad's parents were first or second cousins................... which explains a lot on that side of the family.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Sophus

I vote Westermarck. From my understanding, it's normal for say a daughter to be attracted to a man like her father, but not her actual father.
Also I don't know how Freud would account for certain fetishes.   lol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

The Magic Pudding

I remember hearing daughters start finding their fathers smell repellent around puberty.
A quick search hasn't found anything to support this, maybe fathers just get smellier.