News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Brazilian elections now depend on religion

Started by Parsifal, October 11, 2010, 02:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

I´m not sure how many of you have followed the Brazilian elections.

There were three candidates.  Dilma Rousseff from the Labour Party, that is currently in power, and the would be successor of the immensely popular Lula.  José Serra from the Social Democratic Party, and Marina Silva from the Green Party.  No candidate achieved an outright majority on 3 October, but Marina was eliminated, resulting in a run off between Dilma and Serra, that will take place at the end of October.

Marina attracted a lot of the votes from the crazy Brazilian evangelicals especially after the two main candidates did not publically say whether they are for or against abortion.  Abortion is illegal in Brazil, even if the child is gravely deformed.  Dilma was a student revolutionary and detained several times during the sixties for her campaigns against the Brazilian military dictatorship.  She is a true child of the 60´s, and in the past has said she is in favour of allowing women to choose for themselves whether or not to have an abortion up to the 10th or 12th week of pregnancy.  

As a result of not stating her position on this issue during the election campaign, many analysts determined, she lost an outright majority since many religious voters then opted for the religious Marina.

Now you should see how Dilma and Serra are courting the sizeably, albeit minority, vote of the the evangelical religiots.  It is sickening.  I don´t agree with Dilma, but if I could vote in the Brazilian elections I would definitely not vote for her, simply for selling out her principles to the feebleminded just to get elected.  Imagine what kind of a president she would be.
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

The Magic Pudding

I like the preferential voting system.
If a candidate gets a low vote, the votes are redistributed to the voters 2nd preference, and so on.
There often seems to be the situation where you are offered -
    A totally unacceptable option
    A party who make too many compromises
    An idealistic party that appeals, but stands no chance of success.
With preferential voting you can express your displeasure with major parties, and have your vote go by second preference to the least bad option.