News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

islamophobia

Started by jduster, September 18, 2010, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

many christians are islamophobic.  since 9/11, there has been a stigma on many innocent muslims.  people need to remember that this is just a temporary phase that americans go through often.  after pearl harbor, americans were prejudiced toward japanese people, but eventually americans got over it.  the main fallacy here is guilt by association.  muslim =/= jihad, in the same way that all germans aren't nazis.  the premise of their argument is fallacious, therefore anything built on that foundation should fall like a house of cards.  

of course, a christian would accuse me of being pro-muslim.  i'm not.  i am anti-muslim (but i have more logical reasons) the same way i'm anti-christian.  i see it hypocritical how christians can act as if muslims are inferior to them when both religious are equally fallacious.

humblesmurph

We dropped bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima a couple of years after Pearl Harbor.  Getting revenge on the those that hurt you on such a grand scale I think contributes to forgiveness.  Plus the Japanese make great electronics.  I really don't see Islamaphobia going anywhere any time soon unless the West drops a few nukes on Islam country and Muslims start making laptops and cameras.

Thumpalumpacus

I think our current Islamophobia is merely an expression of the xenophobia which has always been an undercurrent in this nation, since its earliest days.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Not only Christians are islamophobes, you know.

In my country, people are getting more skeptical to those of arabic heritage - particularly practicing muslims - with every passing minute, it seems.

I think it's a reaction to mass-labeling a collection of many different people with varied systems of belief as potentially dangerous to "our way of life" even though most of them do come here looking for a NEW way of life. But then again, it's always the loud-mouthed minorities one hears best, is it not..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

NothingSacred

I think people need to be a little less islamaphobic and a lot more fearful of theocracy. Various religious organizations who feel they should in power are threatening liberty  for everyone. Folks like the christian coalition included. Much like the moderate muslims need to speak up moderate christians need silence the vocal and extreme minority amoung them.
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

Dretlin

Quote from: "jduster"many christians are islamophobic.  since 9/11, there has been a stigma on many innocent muslims.  people need to remember that this is just a temporary phase that americans go through often.  after pearl harbor, americans were prejudiced toward japanese people, but eventually americans got over it.  the main fallacy here is guilt by association.  muslim =/= jihad, in the same way that all germans aren't nazis.  the premise of their argument is fallacious, therefore anything built on that foundation should fall like a house of cards.  

of course, a christian would accuse me of being pro-muslim.  i'm not.  i am anti-muslim (but i have more logical reasons) the same way i'm anti-christian.  i see it hypocritical how christians can act as if muslims are inferior to them when both religious are equally fallacious.

Islamophobia is an odd term which honestly means very little to me. I am against bigotry in all forms and I have seen Islamophobia used to defend any criticism of Islam, which is pathetic.

The Magic Pudding

The title of the thread is islamophobia.
So what fears are irrational and which are valid?

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"The title of the thread is islamophobia.
So what fears are irrational and which are valid?
I've attempted to dig into that irrational bit a little.

As for valid fears, I'd say they are the same as those of other violent religions like, say, Christianity.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Asmodean"As for valid fears, I'd say they are the same as those of other violent religions like, say, Christianity.
Neither Islam nor Christianity is inherently violent.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Asmodean"As for valid fears, I'd say they are the same as those of other violent religions like, say, Christianity.
Oh, REALLY..?  :raised:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Oh, REALLY..?  :raised:

I'm curious about this as well Poop.  Christians don't seem particularly violent, but the New Testament seems to advocate it.  I certainly don't have the bible learnin you possess, could you explain the apparent endorsements of violence in the New Testament?

PoopShoot

People are not their book.  We constantly point out how they cherry pick, yet we hold parts that they avoid picking against them?  Isn't that like cherry-picking in itself?  Yes, their books contain violent passages, but only a minority among the religion actually follow them.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

humblesmurph

Quote from: "PoopShoot"People are not their book.  We constantly point out how they cherry pick, yet we hold parts that they avoid picking against them?  Isn't that like cherry-picking in itself?  Yes, their books contain violent passages, but only a minority among the religion actually follow them.

No, Poop.  I don't hold anything against Christians.  My beef is with the gospel itself.  People are not their book, but the book is the religion.

AreEl

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I think our current Islamophobia is merely an expression of the xenophobia which has always been an undercurrent in this nation, since its earliest days.

Agreed. I would go further and add that xenophobia - fear/distrust of the other - is part & parcel of human nature. In other words, it is natural.

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Neither Islam nor Christianity is inherently violent.

The Koran advocates violence against infidels and there are many suras (verses) I could bring up to show this. Islam itself was born in violence and has largely grown by violence/coercion. Secular Muslims, however, hold to values similar to those of most sensible people.

Apostate Christianity has grown by the same forces Islam uses but to a lesser extent, as violence isn't part of biblical injunctions. Again, secular Christians hold to the values of the day.
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

humblesmurph

Quote from: "AreEl"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I think our current Islamophobia is merely an expression of the xenophobia which has always been an undercurrent in this nation, since its earliest days.

Agreed. I would go further and add that xenophobia - fear/distrust of the other - is part & parcel of human nature. In other words, it is natural.

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Neither Islam nor Christianity is inherently violent.

The Koran advocates violence against infidels and there are many suras (verses) I could bring up to show this. Islam itself was born in violence and has largely grown by violence/coercion. Secular Muslims, however, hold to values similar to those of most sensible people.

Apostate Christianity has grown by the same forces Islam uses but to a lesser extent, as violence isn't part of biblical injunctions. Again, secular Christians hold to the values of the day.

Could you provide some evidence of the relative difference between Christianity and Islam regarding violence?   I always thought the Bible contained passages advocating violence against non believers.  I was taught in history class that the Crusades were at least as bloody (if not much more so) than whatever the Muslims called their violent mass coercion.