News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"America today begins to turn back to God," Glenn Beck

Started by Sophus, August 28, 2010, 06:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Judging from the trends, this meet-up is more a matter of defending their turf, rather than driving home any stakes.  They see the same stats we do about the increasing secularization of youth, and it scares them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Reginus

I read this in an article the other day from CNN:

"The study, which included in-depth interviews with at least 3,300 American teenagers between 13 and 17, found that most American teens who called themselves Christian were indifferent and inarticulate about their faith.
The study included Christians of all stripes -- from Catholics to Protestants of both conservative and liberal denominations. Though three out of four American teenagers claim to be Christian, fewer than half practice their faith, only half deem it important, and most can't talk coherently about their beliefs, the study found."
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

notself

The following is from the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life part of the Pew Research Center.  This is their survey of Americans ages 18-29 from February 2010.  http://pewforum.org/Press-Room/Press-Re ... icans.aspx

QuoteAccording to survey findings, Millennials are significantly more unaffiliated than members of Generation X were at a comparable point in their life cycle and twice as unaffiliated as Baby Boomers were as young adults. Young adults today also attend religious services less often than older Americans. And compared with their elders today, fewer young people say that religion is very important in their lives...

Key findings include:

Compared with their elders today, young people are much less likely to affiliate with any religious tradition or to identify themselves as part of a Christian denomination. Fully one-in-four adults under age 30 are unaffiliated.
One-third of those under age 30 say they attend worship services every week, compared with 41% of adults 30 and older.
Fewer than half of adults under age 30 say that religion is very important in their lives (45%), compared with almost six-in-ten adults 30 and older (59%).
Sixty-four percent of young adults say they are absolutely certain of God's existence, compared with 73% of those 30 and older.
Adults under age 30 are just as likely as older adults to believe in life after death (75% vs. 74%), heaven (74% each), hell (62% vs. 59%) and miracles (78% vs. 79%).
Nearly three-quarters of affiliated young adults (74%) say there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their faith, compared with 67% of affiliated adults 30 and older.
The report, including a summary of findings, is available online.
here is the link to the actual report.  http://pewforum.org/Age/Religion-Among- ... nials.aspx

Martin TK

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Whitney"I completely don't get it ;)

I got it right away, maybe we are showing out age here.  SMILE
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

notself

Sophus

This reminds me of Whitney's recent post suggesting maybe the beast of burden has been lifted off of our back and placed on the muslims. It's hard to tell if Beck is trying to organize against atheism or secularism in general here. Notice in the slideshow of photographs from the event, one man is wearing a Fairy style portrait of Benjamin Franklin. Good Ol' Ben wouldn't have exactly been my first choice had I been supporting a Let's Get America Back to God movement.

Were those really made to support Glenn?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Reginus

Quote from: "Sophus"
LOL is that seriously Thomas Jefferson there on the left?
Haha, this shirt is just too great.  I should get one.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Recusant

Quote from: "Reginus"LOL is that seriously Thomas Jefferson there on the left?
Haha, this shirt is just too great. I should get one.

That would  be funny, but actually it's supposed to be Samuel Adams on the left, representing "Faith."  Adams was a bit of a hot-head and a demagogue, as well as a staunch defender of Puritanism. As such, he's probably the most appropriate of the three founding father figures on that shirt for Beck to latch onto.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Reginus

Quote from: "Recusant"That would  be funny, but actually it's supposed to be Samuel Adams on the left, representing "Faith."  Adams was a bit of a hot-head and a demagogue, as well as a staunch defender of Puritanism. As such, he's probably the most appropriate of the three founding father figures on that shirt for Beck to latch onto.
Ah, ok.  I was gonna say that it looked a bit like this pic of thomas jefferson:

Sophus

Here is some info on the differences between MLK and Beck:

:D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Sophus

I believe I have underestimated the racist element to the Tea Party as a whole. I always thought the down economy was what was igniting all the fear. But with pictures like this it becomes pretty evident that Hitchens is right; this movement is about the fear of losing white Christian America.  :hmm:

Predictions for the future, ye heathen prophets?

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I :up:

parrotpirate

I don't know so much about my lips to gods ear, but Glenn Beck can firmly apply his lips to my hairy ass!
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!

GAYtheist

"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I :up:

Also, to let you know, I made sure to spread this around a little.  Hope you don't mind.