News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Self Defense

Started by Laser Sailor, August 05, 2010, 11:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dretlin

Quote from: "SSY"Actually, males are more likely to be victims of violent crime, though of course, this factor will be swamped by the effect of being homeless.

In the UK males are 3 times more likely to be victim of violent crime and 90percent of the homeless are males. So yes, your correct.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Dretlin"
Quote from: "SSY"Actually, males are more likely to be victims of violent crime, though of course, this factor will be swamped by the effect of being homeless.

In the UK males are 3 times more likely to be victim of violent crime and 90percent of the homeless are males. So yes, your correct.

I wonder if rape is not counted as a violent crime to get this statistic?  One in six American women get raped but some stats I've found say that only 2-3% percent of American people are victims of violent crime.  That doesn't mesh - rape is a violent crime so shouldn't the percentage be much, much higher?

Kylyssa

Aaaah, I missed a vital fact here - in the UK.  In the US, males make up about 67% of the homeless population.

There are obviously a lot fewer homeless children and women in the UK.  Children and teens of both genders make up a large proportion of the American homeless population.  It used to be that about 90% of our homeless people were male but those figures have changed a lot in the last thirty years with the number of homeless children going through the roof lately.  One in fifty American children experiences homelessness each year - not counting homeless teens.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Kylyssa"That doesn't mesh - rape is a violent crime so shouldn't the percentage be much, much higher?
I would think so.  In California rape is a strike.  If you rob a house and have a friend with you it's considered (and counted as) domestic terrorism.  Not that terrorism has anything to do rape, but if they can classify something nonviolent as terrorism you'd think they'd classify rape as violent.  But then "rape" might include nonviolent forms of rape that aren't included in "violent crime".
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Dretlin

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Aaaah, I missed a vital fact here - in the UK.

Saves me posting a reply!  :hmm:

Davin

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Kylyssa"That doesn't mesh - rape is a violent crime so shouldn't the percentage be much, much higher?
I would think so.  In California rape is a strike.  If you rob a house and have a friend with you it's considered (and counted as) domestic terrorism.  Not that terrorism has anything to do rape, but if they can classify something nonviolent as terrorism you'd think they'd classify rape as violent.  But then "rape" might include nonviolent forms of rape that aren't included in "violent crime".
Do the same thing they do with calling robbery "domestic terrorism" and call rape "sexual terrorism".
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

SSY

Quote from: "Kylyssa"

I wonder if rape is not counted as a violent crime to get this statistic?  One in six American women get raped but some stats I've found say that only 2-3% percent of American people are victims of violent crime.  That doesn't mesh - rape is a violent crime so shouldn't the percentage be much, much higher?

To be perfectly honest, I would look more deeply into the 1/6 statistic, that seems awfully high to me. I can't imagine rape could ever be classified as non violent, even sexual assault is counted in that category?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

PoopShoot

Quote from: "SSY"To be perfectly honest, I would look more deeply into the 1/6 statistic, that seems awfully high to me. I can't imagine rape could ever be classified as non violent, even sexual assault is counted in that category?
Us silly Americans classify all illegal sexual intercourse as rape.  This include Pedophilia, Ephebophilia, too drunk to say "yes", rape by pharmaceutical incapacitation...
All hail Cancer Jesus!

SSY

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "SSY"To be perfectly honest, I would look more deeply into the 1/6 statistic, that seems awfully high to me. I can't imagine rape could ever be classified as non violent, even sexual assault is counted in that category?
Us silly Americans classify all illegal sexual intercourse as rape.  This include Pedophilia, Ephebophilia, too drunk to say "yes", rape by pharmaceutical incapacitation...

Are you saying the inclusion of these types of intercourse would account for the 1/6 figure?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

PoopShoot

Quote from: "SSY"Are you saying the inclusion of these types of intercourse would account for the 1/6 figure?
Without implying I know the accuracy or inaccuracy of the figure, yes.
All hail Cancer Jesus!