News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Self Defense

Started by Laser Sailor, August 05, 2010, 11:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Quote from: "Tank"..... 'inherent right' is. .... One can't can it, or box it .....
With the way things are going here at the moment..... I'd give canning it a try, I have a dozen pint jars just waiting to be filled  lol

Gee..... I think I've inhaled too much vinegar lately... you think?
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"
Quote from: "Tank"..... 'inherent right' is. .... One can't can it, or box it .....
With the way things are going here at the moment..... I'd give canning it a try, I have a dozen pint jars just waiting to be filled  lol

Gee..... I think I've inhaled too much vinegar lately... you think?
When I wrote that line I thought of adding (if KDbeads con't can it nobody can!)
 lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Heck I'll even try the pressure canner just to see if it's possible  ;)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

darkcyd

I am going to have to pull this necro thread out :).

I am going to say this, the mysticism created around a tool is simply from ignorance.

Years ago, people took their 9 year old sons out and taught them to hunt with guns. They shot deer after rabbit after squirrel and had to clean and cook every one of them. Trust me, it real quickly turns into a tool when used properly. When you kill an animal and have to cut its intestines out, you have no misconceptions or wonderment about what happens on the business end of the muzzle. Because of that, you didn't have kids shooting themselves as frequently. They KNEW what happened.

From my training and experience in the military, I felt perfectly safe walking around a base in some other country where everybody had a full loaded machine gun. We ate with them and slept with them and short of a few accidents in the clearing barrel, there were no deaths due to friendly fire.

It is a tool. It is a tool for killing, make no mistake. It is our protective shielding of children in ignorance when they are so curious. They see guns on every TV, every movie and in many toys. We are naturally drawn to its power. Either the wool from childrens eyes should be lifted or they have no place in their lives or homes. Even then in the US, where so many guns exist, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and make sure my children know exactly what happens.

In all other cases, some people spoke of some horrible things. Rape and robbery, are they worth the life. More importantly, can you live with yourself for taking a life of someone for those reasons. In the past, we had families of 8, 10 even 12 or more children because death and disease would claim so many. Today we have fewer children and expect them all to live. We place such a high value on life compared to days past that people are a stranger to it. They would chose to give up the item vs killing a person.

In such cases, I think you have to let each person make their own decision on what they can live with and not fault them for it. Yes, it is a right but it is one that is being less excercised as we value life more.

karadan

If someone points a knife or gun in my face and asks for my wallet, i'll happily give it to them if it means myself and anyone i'm with are able to walk away unscathed.
If the attacker wants something else from me, like my anal virginity for instance, then i will fight my ass off (no pun intended).

Luckily nothing like that has ever happened to me. I hope it never will. I consider myself fairly sensible, so you won't see me walking through Mosside at 2am on my own.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Asmodean

Depending on how many people and how much expensive property I risk as collateral damage, my defence strategies may vary.

Usually though, unless firearms are involved, I prefer to deal maximum damage in minimal time. I exclude firearms because I was never threatened by one directly, so I have no idea how I'd react even though I have some training in close quarter combat against a pistol-armed adversary.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dretlin

I have been doing Jeet Kune Do and Kali for about two years.

What I have learned is I need no weapon to do horrible things to someone. I have also learned that I would do anything to avoid a fight. I do not want to put the skills I have learned into practice, unless I have absolutely not other option.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Dretlin"I have been doing Jeet Kune Do and Kali for about two years.
Kali is nice! Do you prefer stick, blade or empty hand?

QuoteWhat I have learned is I need no weapon to do horrible things to someone. I have also learned that I would do anything to avoid a fight. I do not want to put the skills I have learned into practice, unless I have absolutely not other option
Oh, weapons are just something that makes doing terrible things easier. A lot easier. It only takes a few pounds per square inch of effort to fire a gun or cut a major artery - takes a bit more to crush a windpipe or snap a neck

In any case, doing anything to avoid a fight is not really sensible, now is it..? Some times anything is just not worth the effort. Trying to calm down a junkie threatening you with a knife can, after all, prove far more dangerous than neutralising his threat by force.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Dretlin"I have been doing Jeet Kune Do and Kali for about two years.
Kali is nice! Do you prefer stick, blade or empty hand?

QuoteWhat I have learned is I need no weapon to do horrible things to someone. I have also learned that I would do anything to avoid a fight. I do not want to put the skills I have learned into practice, unless I have absolutely not other option
Oh, weapons are just something that makes doing terrible things easier. A lot easier. It only takes a few pounds per square inch of effort to fire a gun or cut a major artery - takes a bit more to crush a windpipe or snap a neck

In any case, doing anything to avoid a fight is not really sensible, now is it..? Some times anything is just not worth the effort. Trying to calm down a junkie threatening you with a knife can, after all, prove far more dangerous than neutralising his threat by force.

At the moment I prefer empty hand or with one/two karambit's. Of course the beauty of Kali as an art is that it is the same regardless of what is in your hands. As I am sure you may know!  :headbang:  

I personally think new Kali and Wing Chun are great for self Defence and as an Art. Not brilliant martial sports, though I have seen some brilliant Kali fights.

Now, in your example, when I see that junkie I do see a threat and I also see how ripping his/her eyes out and breaking his/her knee will probably not help them with their addiction! If I can disengage from the situation, I will do that. If he/she is indeed utterly determined to cause me or anyone else harm, then yes, I will be forced to act. Unfortunately, I have not reached a level of skill which means I am confident with the more passive defence techniques. I would jump straight into the nastiest moves I know, which is seems wrong.

And if you know Kali, which you sound like you do, you could kill someone with your pair hands or leave them with or without something for the rest of their lives. I am very reluctant to do that. Even if they threaten me.

Only if I have no other peaceful option.

Asmodean

I know Kali to a degree (no grandmaster, but competent enough). The idea of defending against angles of attack rather than countering certain moves fascinated me and so I decided to learn. And loved it.

I prefer blades myself, but as you said, it's more a matter of personal taste than altering fighting styles.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

epepke

Quote from: "karadan"If someone points a knife or gun in my face and asks for my wallet, i'll happily give it to them if it means myself and anyone i'm with are able to walk away unscathed.

That's kind of an interesting "if."  What is it based on?  Is there some sort of reason to believe that the kind of person who points guns at people to rob them are of the most stalwart character, honor, and honesty?

SSY

Quote from: "Kylyssa"
Quote from: "Laser Sailor"Always avoid sketchy situations whenever possible. (for example I don't go to liquor stores or quickstop type places after 10pm)
Always be aware of your surroundings.

Add to this -
Don't work the night shift.
Don't be a woman.
Don't be homeless.

Actually, males are more likely to be victims of violent crime, though of course, this factor will be swamped by the effect of being homeless.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

PoopShoot

Quote from: "SSY"Actually, males are more likely to be victims of violent crime, though of course, this factor will be swamped by the effect of being homeless.
Of course, females are more likely to be victims of rape.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

SSY

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "SSY"Actually, males are more likely to be victims of violent crime, though of course, this factor will be swamped by the effect of being homeless.
Of course, females are more likely to be victims of rape.

Well, while possibly true, I am not sure exactly what it has to do with what I posted.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

PoopShoot

Quote from: "SSY"Well, while possibly true, I am not sure exactly what it has to do with what I posted.
:twocents:
All hail Cancer Jesus!