Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2017, 11:54:44 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on September 05, 2017, 10:35:58 PM
Another glorious day on the Isle of Skye. A few minor showers between lots of sunny, if windy spells spent looking for the dinosaur footprints at Staffin. Unfortunately they were covered in a wide area of hard, damp sand and no-one of the many people who had gone to look for them at low tide could find them. I'm not surprised that 'Lonely Planet' readers voted Scotland the most beautiful place on earth, it really is staggeringly, dramatically endlessly lovely with a new and beautiful view round every corner.

I would love to visit the Scottish highlands, the scenery looks stunning.  8)

It is. We're so privileged.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Hoping that I am not vounting my steps before I have walked them . . . On the evidence of one trip to the loo at 5am my foot is much better, hardly any pain or limping.

I had an appointment yesterday that meant walking. I was worried tgat it would make my foot worse, but the pain did not get over a tolerable level. I was advised to rest the foot but had noticed that the longer the rest the more painful the first steps after were. I did wonder if the muscles and tendons were shrinking and getting stiff. Think I was right, the extra exercise has loosened things up.

Also, despite being advised to use ice-packs, I noticed that a hot soak made it less painful. There is a little swelling but that is not itself painful.

Hoping to be skipping and dancing soon (that'll be a first then!)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

Conversation my husband and I had on the way home last evening:

Him: What this town needs is a good all-night bookstore.

Me: That sounds like an excellent idea. However, you do know you'd never see me again.

Him: I'd send food and clothes.

Me: Thank you, dear.

Then I couldn't stay serious and broke out giggling. Of course, this is the same man I've had serious conversations with about what effects of the Revelio spell from Harry Potter would have on someone who is not magically disguising their appearance, what would have happened in Little Women had Beth not died, and the problems of keeping Ringworld stable. Yeah, we're weird - and very nerdy. :D
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on September 17, 2017, 07:36:11 AM

Me: That sounds like an excellent idea. However, you do know you'd never see me again.

Then I couldn't stay serious and broke out giggling. Of course, this is the same man I've had serious conversations with about what effects of the Revelio spell from Harry Potter would have on someone who is not magically disguising their appearance, what would have happened in Little Women had Beth not died, and the problems of keeping Ringworld stable. Yeah, we're weird - and very nerdy. :D

:snicker:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Velma on September 17, 2017, 07:36:11 AM

A match made in heaven. I envy you.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

QuoteA match made in heaven. I envy you.

"Heaven"? Shere's that then, Hermes?

:grin:

(Yeah, I envy you as well, Velma. Well, what you and your husbsnd have.)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 11:36:02 AM

You are so cynical. I was speaking metaphorically. At least I didn't mention 72 virgins.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Are the headphones essential to beer bottling?

Guardian85

Quote from: Dave on September 17, 2017, 07:15:41 PM
Are the headphones essential to beer bottling?
Some parts of the process do benefit from a solid injection of Metal.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Velma

I wasn't trying to provoke envy. My relationship with my husband is a bit outside the norm, so it seems. I count myself a fortunate woman.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on September 18, 2017, 06:02:21 AM

I wasn't trying to provoke envy. My relationship with my husband is a bit outside the norm, so it seems. I count myself a fortunate woman.
No "provocation" in the pejorative sense felt. It is heartening to hear of relationships such as the two of you have, Velma.  There has not been a really succesful marriage in my family, probably why I never really tried for it myself - no good "model". Before her husband died my friend Jane had a marriage where they started as childhood friends and remainded true friends throughout. Very important and, in my mind, too often separated from marriage.

As one gets older one,,perhaps, misses such things more nostalgically.

Allow us our small, containable, envy. :)

Velma

jumbojak

I lost a pair of ball joints for the car sometime during the week. I got the press adapters on on Thursday, had everything set up to do the job yesterday and couldn't find the dang parts! I tore the house up, the shed, completely cleaned out the car and they were nowhere to be found. So I resolved to go out this morning and buy two more of a lesser brand for more money to finish the job. :(

When I woke up this morning and stretched my hand hit something on the back of the couch and surprise! Two brand new ball joints tumbled down to land on my chest. It might be a good day. Might...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 17, 2017, 06:11:51 PM

And now we wait...

Wait a minute, how do we know Guardian isn't just removing the caps and drinking the beer?  ;D

Quote from: jumbojak on September 18, 2017, 02:56:16 PM
I lost a pair of ball joints for the car sometime during the week. I got the press adapters on on Thursday, had everything set up to do the job yesterday and couldn't find the dang parts! I tore the house up, the shed, completely cleaned out the car and they were nowhere to be found. So I resolved to go out this morning and buy two more of a lesser brand for more money to finish the job. :(

When I woke up this morning and stretched my hand hit something on the back of the couch and surprise! Two brand new ball joints tumbled down to land on my chest. It might be a good day. Might...

If there are ball joints in the couch I'm curious to know what car parts one might find in JJ's bed? ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."