News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Health Care Bill

Started by rizzyref, March 24, 2010, 03:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rizzyref

Anyone else have a lot of Christian friends?

If you do, you may have noticed your Facebook News Feed spammed with anti-Obama comments more than usual. For some reason, and I sincerely can't figure it out, a majority of Christians find the new health care bill passed in the US to somehow go against their religion. I've been pulling my hair out arguing with these fundamental types, and have yet to receive a straight answer.

The closest I have received to an answer, which is complete b.s. imo, is that the Republican parties represent Christian values because they are anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality. Even if there is a (weak) element of truth to this, I don't understand the motives behind Christians following the Republican party blindly. Objectively, intelligent Christians do exist and yet I see nearly no Christians looking at politics on an issue-to-issue basis. What part of the Christian Bible is against health care reform?

Does anyone have an opinion on why Christians blindly follow the Republican Party?

notself

It's the same mind set.  Both their religions and their politics require authority, rigid rules, no thinking, and blind faith even when faced with conflicting evidence.  These people believe in the efficacy of prayer and the qualifications of Sarah Palin to be President.  Why even argue with them?  They certainly won't change because to do so would cause their whole world to come crashing down.

rizzyref

Quote from: "notself"It's the same mind set.  Both their religions and their politics require authority, rigid rules, no thinking, and blind faith even when faced with conflicting evidence.  These people believe in the efficacy of prayer and the qualifications of Sarah Palin to be President.  Why even argue with them?  They certainly won't change because to do so would cause their whole world to come crashing down.

I can see how they wanted Sarah Palin to be president, though I disagree, because she was basically screaming "I'M A FUNDAMENTALIST" at the top of her lungs. And I'm certaintly not suggesting an attempt to change their rigid minds on ideas such as God and abortion. The part I'm sincerely in awe about, is their unanimous decision to protest the new health care bill. Although they may be set in their ways when it comes to certain subjects, when it comes to decisions that aren't religious I would think they could at least form their own opinion.

Sophus

They're creating their own misery with their credulity toward all the lies and myths created about the Health Care Bill(s). Now that it has officially been passed maybe they'll wake up and smell the coffee. But if Obama doesn't clear things up to the majority in the next three years I don't think he has a prayer at getting re-elected.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

notself

Even if every part of the health care bill turns out to be perfect in use and low in cost, the fundamentalists will still hate it even as they use it.  It will stop being government health care and start being their health care.  Did you not see the Teabagger sign that said in all seriousness, "Keep the government out of my Medicare"?  Fundamentalists live in a land of cognitive dissonance.

rizzyref

Quote from: "Sophus"They're creating their own misery with their credulity toward all the lies and myths created about the Health Care Bill(s). Now that it has officially been passed maybe they'll wake up and smell the coffee. But if Obama doesn't clear things up to the majority in the next three years I don't think he has a prayer at getting re-elected.

I don't really know what the moderates think about this bill. Will it really cause him to lose the swing states in the next election?

Quote from: "notself"Even if every part of the health care bill turns out to be perfect in use and low in cost, the fundamentalists will still hate it even as they use it.  It will stop being government health care and start being their health care.  Did you not see the Teabagger sign that said in all seriousness, "Keep the government out of my Medicare"?  Fundamentalists live in a land of cognitive dissonance.

I think you might be on to something.