News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Good Morning All

Started by happynewyear, March 11, 2010, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happynewyear

I am new to HAF and am glad to be here.
I have looked around the site and there are very interesting post on most boards.
Hopefully, I will be able to contribute constructively to the discussions and have a bit of fun with you all.
I was born with no belief system but was quickly (after three days) indoctrinated into the"Roman Catholic Church" (before I could change my mind presumably).
By the time I became a teenager I was suitably disillusioned by the lack of stimulation (both intellectually and emotionally) that this belief system provided (or didn't provide).
I studied Biological Chemistry at college which provided some knowledge in logic and reasoning.
I have also studied various religions and have been a member of some of these in the past. I have now come full circle having no belief system to cling to and am happy to be here.
Thanks to the members of HAF who have already welcomed me aboard. :)

pinkocommie

Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for the intro, it's always nice to know a bit about the people you're talking to.  :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Whitney

Quote from: "happynewyear"I was born with no belief system but was quickly (after three days) indoctrinated into the"Roman Catholic Church" (before I could change my mind presumably).

I'm assuming you mean 3 days after being introduced rather than at 3 days old....correct?

elliebean

Hi Happy! Welcome to the forum.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

happynewyear

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "happynewyear"I was born with no belief system but was quickly (after three days) indoctrinated into the"Roman Catholic Church" (before I could change my mind presumably).

I'm assuming you mean 3 days after being introduced rather than at 3 days old....correct?

No, I mean three days old, when I was Baptised.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "happynewyear"
Quote from: "Whitney"

No, I mean three days old, when I was Baptised.

I don't know how the whole splash with water/dunked in water thing works very well, but to be baptized don't you have to willingly dedicate yourself to Jesus/God?  I think you were christened, not baptized.  But, I could totally be wrong!  :D

Whitney

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I don't know how the whole splash with water/dunked in water thing works very well, but to be baptized don't you have to willingly dedicate yourself to Jesus/God?  I think you were christened, not baptized.  But, I could totally be wrong!  :D

it depends on the denomination.  For instance, in the church I grew up in, Presbyterian, you were baptized as a baby and then when you came of age you went through confirmation and were baptized again.  It was called being baptized both times but the gown the baby wears is called a christening gown.  Basically, baptize is a general word use by many denominations to describe being dunked in water or sprinkled with water during a religious ceremony and doesn't necessarily indicate the baptize-subject has formerly accepted jesus as lord.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Whitney"it depends on the denomination.  For instance, in the church I grew up in, Presbyterian, you were baptized as a baby and then when you came of age you went through confirmation and were baptized again.  It was called being baptized both times but the gown the baby wears is called a christening gown.  Basically, baptize is a general word use by many denominations to describe being dunked in water or sprinkled with water during a religious ceremony and doesn't necessarily indicate the baptize-subject has formerly accepted jesus as lord.

That makes sense - thanks for explaining that for me!