News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Teenage atheist.

Started by maccecilie, February 10, 2010, 08:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maccecilie

Hello everyone. I am a 16 year old atheist from Norway. I became an atheist two years ago. I never really were religious, but after my confirmation I realized that it wasn't for me. I am however still a member of the Norwegian Church, but as soon as I turn 18 I'll sign out.
My mother believes in God, but not the entire Bible. She believes in evolution, but that there were a god present. My youngest older brother feels the same way.
My father and other brother on the other hand, are hardcore atheists like myself. I also have a sister, who I believe is not religious, but more spiritual I would say.
So, my family is split on the area, but it doesen't affect me much because I would say people in Norway are much more laidback about religion. (Most of them anyway).
I think it's a little sad that I was semi-religious for such a long time, but as a child you become a little brainwashed because you're so naive.
However we don't teach creationism as science in our school. We have a seperate subject in school for all the major religions in the world. And we learn about them equally. I think that's a good program since there is plenty of room of believing in what you want.
Anyway, happy to be sorrounded by so many bright people.  :)

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

maccecilie

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Welcome to the forum!
Thanks so much.

elliebean

Hi Maccecilie! Welcome to the forum, I look forward to reading more of your posts  :)

I can empathise with your being sad about having been religious for so long. It took me until I was about 25 to undo the brainwashing. My family (and I) were not laid back about it at all, though. I was pretty fanatical back then.

Welcome aboard!
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

bfat

Quote from: "maccecilie"We have a seperate subject in school for all the major religions in the world. And we learn about them equally. I think that's a good program since there is plenty of room of believing in what you want.

Now that's brilliant.  Can you imagine anyone trying to implement that in, say, Kentucky or Texas?  I envy the school systems of northern Europe... plus, your English is amazing!  I studied French for 8 years and I still need subtitles for everything.   :blush:
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."  -Willy Wonka

Grassharpper

Good for you Maccecilie...Not everyone escapes the big fat ugly hairy hand of the church. I was a teenage atheist too (and a toddler atheist-----before that, mom and dad were god). You did yourself and the world a great service by freeing your mind. It might come in handy one day.