News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Questions regarding circumcision.

Started by NaturaLCalamity, November 21, 2009, 07:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturaLCalamity

I'm doing a research paper on circumcision, and I'd like to get a few thoughts on this topic before I'd actually start on the paper itself. Here are some of my questions regarding this practice.

a.) What are the negative effects of circumcision on the individual, family, and/or society? And how common is it?

b.) How do other cultures/countries view circumcision?

c.) Is circumcision considered to be a personal sexual problem? How so?

d) Describe at least 2 opposing viewpoints regarding how one might cope with circumcision.

d.) Describe an opposing technique used by another culture/country.

e.) Do you think circumcision will last forever? Or will it eventually "die?"

Thanks for your time. And any great links regarding this topic would be great! Take care!
"Put your hands to the constellations, the way you look should be a sin, you're my sinsation...
I know I'm preachin' to the congregation, we love Jesus but you'd learned a lot from Satan!
May the Lord forgive us, May the Gods be with us
In that magic hour, I've seen good christians, make rash decisions
Oh she do it, what happened to Religion? Oh sh

Recusant

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there's a thread here with some decent links and discussion of the issue.

Good luck with your paper, NaturaLCalamity.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LoneMateria

Also Penn and Teller did a Bullshit! episode on Circumcision.  Its worth checking out.  They get opposing view points and everything.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Ellainix

Is it male or female circumcision? Male circumcision just makes the penis look like it's not wearing a turtleneck... Female circumcision can be torture and (intentionally) permanent damage to the clitoris.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

buttercupbaby

Circumcision has been done originally for religious purposes, now for general hygiene.  Most people have it done in  the hospital.   Jews have circumcisions done in the home and afterward there is a party.   Avoid the calamari.
If we evolved from a lower life form, why are there still  creationists?  

SSY

Quote from: "Ellainix"Is it male or female circumcision? Male circumcision just makes the penis look like it's not wearing a turtleneck... Female circumcision can be torture and (intentionally) permanent damage to the clitoris.

I think you are somewhat understating the male circumcision and its effects.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

Quote from: "buttercupbaby"now for general hygiene.  

I think the main reason is still religious/cultural.  I've done a bit of research in the past and there doesn't seem to be a real need for male circumcision as long as the boy is taught to clean himself well. In the, apparently rare, cases where proper hygiene doesn't prevent health issues the circumcision can be performed when the male is older.  Some arguments have been made that sexual stimulation is lessened by circumcision and that beneficial glands are removed by the process.  The only draw back to having it done when older is the male being able to remember the pain; as I can't imagine it hurts much less to circumcise a baby than an adult.

If I have a boy, I don't plan on having him circumcised unless my husband has a really good reason for why he thinks it is the right choice (which I don't think will be the case; we've discussed it in the past and his only comment was that it was done to him and he is more than functional  ;) ).