Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Parenting Thread :)

Started by TheOGMamaBear, October 01, 2009, 12:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "LARA"
QuoteMamaBear wrote:

I actually kicked my husbands cousin out of the house the other night because he came over late and started bashing me for telling my husband he couldn't buy a new chainsaw, because "It's not my money since I don't work."

:|  :shake:  
I've heard that one before.  No one who has stayed at home full time and long term with a child before would even dare to think this phrase.

Tom62, I LOVED THAT VIDEO!!!!!  We should outsource public schooling to India too, they'll get better math and science training there at a fraction of the cost!!!!

Isn't that the truth? My husband asks me how I do it all day without losing my mind.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

Big Mac

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"It's only 7:40am and I'm having one of those mornings where I'm close to stranggling my toddler. It's taking all in my power to not go crazy!

She started the morning off by dumping her entire bowl of oatmeal on the floor, when I made more, she refused to eat it, then she dumped the dogs water bowl out, and tried shoving a computer game in the dvd player.

man.

Smacking kids still works very well. I learned to behave pretty quickly with a few well administered pops. Simple and effective. Don't forget to yell and make it a point that it is unacceptable.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

TheOGMamaBear

No, I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not...but I don't hit my kids!

Also I find all the yelling just leads to more yelling.

She's a toddler, it's pretty much a storm that I have to weather.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Ninteen45

I'd link to a study showing smacked kids are dumber than non smacked kids, but I'm lazy.
Now I can be re-gognizod!

Big Mac

Quote from: "Ninteen45"I'd link to a study showing smacked kids are dumber than non smacked kids, but I'm lazy.

I need to take my belt off, boy?!!? Or is it goofy time? Just bought me a sack of oranges, won't leave a mark!!!

Big Mac

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"No, I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not...but I don't hit my kids!

Also I find all the yelling just leads to more yelling.

She's a toddler, it's pretty much a storm that I have to weather.

Uh...you basically own your kid. You don't have to tolerate a little tantrum, my parents didn't. I knew making a scene at a store or even arguing/talking back to them was a express train to red face/ass ville. Kept me in line pretty well.....I was still pretty bad but I would have been worse no doubt.

I was being sarcastic about the yelling part (kind of) as well as the smacking (less kind of).

Physical discipline tends to work out well. Toddlers need special techniques as to not hurt them. Spanking seemed to work for me, I'm very well adjusted and shit.

Ninteen45

I'd give my kid an irrational phobia of something, like bees or tickling.

If they ever disbehave, I'd make the bee sound or tickle them.

Now I can be re-gognizod!

Big Mac

Quote from: "Ninteen45"I'd give my kid an irrational phobia of something, like bees or tickling.

If they ever disbehave, I'd make the bee sound or tickle them.

I like your style there. My parents did that too. I used to think if you played out in the front without their permission creepy men would kidnap and dissect you.

TheOGMamaBear

Sorry Big mac, no one OWNS anybody.

I don't OWN my child. And I don't tolerate tantrums but I certainly do not hit. Sorry.

Are you even a parent? Because you don't seem to quite understand with what being a parent is ACTUALLY like.

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Ninteen45"I'd link to a study showing smacked kids are dumber than non smacked kids, but I'm lazy.

God, I have a ton in books here at my house.

Kids whose parents use alternate means of discipline tend to fair better in life than those who were spanked.

McQ

All this talk of smacking and not smacking is useless. It always ends up just hurting the parents' hands. For real discipline, you need one of these:

Now that will get a child in line lickety-split!

Also, studies show that people who use walk-in freezers as "time out" rooms, have better behaved children. They just seem more relaxed and chilled out. If you have teens who misbehave, you may need even more of an attitude adjuster. These Klingon Pain Sticks© work extremely well, and leave no lasting scars. As the father of four sons, I can vouch for the effectiveness of Pain Sticks ©.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"Sorry Big mac, no one OWNS anybody.

I don't OWN my child. And I don't tolerate tantrums but I certainly do not hit. Sorry.

Are you even a parent? Because you don't seem to quite understand with what being a parent is ACTUALLY like.

Do imaginary kids count? You technically own your kids until they're 18. You are in charge of them until they hit that magical number. You pay for their food, clothing, housing, toys, etc. so they owe you in good behavior and respect. Not to mention some gratitude. I understand your kid is pretty young so maybe smacking would be a little extreme. I'm curious as to how you handle it, not trying to pick a fight here, honestly wondering what you do and how would you rank it in effectiveness.

I was joking a bit about the smacking part though I'd recommend a good pop to a kid old enough to know better. Made me more likely to behave when I really learned to not like the stinging sensation of backhand for backtalking/potty mouth.

TheOGMamaBear

lol, no imaginary children don't count. Just how many pretend kids do you have? >.<

We use 1-2-3, normally for "discipline." So when she's doing something she isn't supposed to We say "Lilian, we do not shove cookies into the dvd player (haha), that is one."

If she does it again we say "Lilian, we said no touching the dvd player, that is two. Do it again and it's time out."

When she does it again we tell her we said no, and bring her to her room which is off of our kitchen. A child gets one minute per age. She's 21 months, so I do about a min. and a half.

It works mostly and most days I get to two and she stops. But there are other days where it's a total test of patience. If she's doing something that could hurt herself we don't do 123, we take her away from it right away. Also if she hurts the dog or us in anger, she gets a time out immediately.

It's more about being removed from the situation at this age than "thinking about what she's done." She doesn't mind having to go to her room much, she often ends up just playing in her room even after I tell her she can come out.

Big Mac

So basically kiddie lock-down? Okay, I had that too. I think though that corporal punishment helps bring into sharp focus what you did was wrong. Saved for those occasions when they think they're big shit now. Like when they're 13 and say, "I don't have to listen to you dipshit I am..." BAM. Solves backtalk instantly.

TheOGMamaBear

Ha, I guess I'll have to see how I deal with that shit later on.

I take it day by day. It's the only way I'm still surviving my daughter. She's been a fire cracker since day one.

I was never the backtalker in our house, it was my brother, and he was spanked...I don't think it worked on him. :hissyfit: