Iowa school district leaders approve a proposed "reli

Started by michael, July 09, 2009, 10:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael

Oh, great.

From the Des Moines Register:

Public school students in Spencer will get to study the Bible and pray at graduation if school district leaders approve a proposed "religious liberties" policy, the first of its kind in Iowa.  The plan calls for elective classes such as "Critic of Darwinism," which includes arguments against the theory of evolution, and "The Bible in History and Literature."

Read the rest here: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... 0357/1001/
Hi.  Click these links to follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, and visit my personal website.
[size=85]"But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under

thiolsulfate

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh damn it. Not this shit again. This stupid wedge bullshit and seeding doubt. Fuck.

AGAIN

I will fly to Iowa and teach the Pastafarian Critique of Evolution. I'll do it for free. That is, of course, unless this is what I'm quite certain it is: more attempts to teach Creationism.

They didn't win with Creationism; they didn't win with Creationism 2.0 ID edition; now they're going for doubt and criticism. This is never going to end is it?

rlrose328

QuoteIowa's public school districts take a uniform approach to religion, "which is pretty close to a flat-out prohibition of it," said Mary Gannon, a lawyer with the Iowa Association of School Boards.

She says that like it's a BAD thing.  And I love how they are calling it "religious freedom," because again, who would vote against "freedom."  This is a manipulation in so many forms, it's hard to pin them all down.  Why don't they get that studying any type of religion in public schools is tantamount to proselytizing and evangelism?

I'm still wondering how far the Released Time program here in Oregon will get this fall when they try to roll out their program in our local schools, mine included.  

If they can do that, I want to do a class that truly studies the bible, like how my husband studied it in his Jesuit HS.  That's what led him to atheism.  Truly seeing how the bible can't POSSIBLY be the inerrant word of god.  So let's put together THAT class to teach in conjunction with their Released Time program or this Iowa nonsense.  If the kids go to the religious stuff, they also have to go to our "bible study" class.  Both sides of the coin, as they like to say.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

michael

Really great point about how studying the Bible leads to atheism.

I also find it funny how fundies are so anti-homosexual, when Jesus had absolutely nothing to say on the subject.  He did, however, preach against divorce.

Hypocrites.
Hi.  Click these links to follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, and visit my personal website.
[size=85]"But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "michael"Really great point about how studying the Bible leads to atheism.

I also find it funny how fundies are so anti-homosexual, when Jesus had absolutely nothing to say on the subject.  He did, however, preach against divorce.

Hypocrites.
In fairness Jesus was probably gay.

Even without going through all that translation/mistranslation nonsense, let's face some premises.

First assuming the New Testament is true (even though it likely isn't even remotely) Jesus spent his entire adult life surrounded by twelve men and possibly one woman who only ever really did anything when Jesus wanted perfume in his hair and on his feet.

Jesus, if he existed, was probably a flaming homosexual.  :P

hismikeness

QuoteJesus, if he existed, was probably a flaming homosexual. :D

You're right. He probably was gayer than a bag of dicks.

Hismikeness
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Sheeplauncher

Well im going to school in iowa this fall for college. Better ditch the atheist bumper sticker :O

Pineapple

In my school there was a petition to teach creationism alongside evolution in SCIENCE class.

I don't mind if there are religious classes but I sure wasn't in science ficiton; they should not be teaching creationism.
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
-Pythagoras

disposablechild

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"I will fly to Iowa and teach the Pastafarian Critique of Evolution. I'll do it for free.

I'd join you on that flight. Ha that was actually my first thought reading this.  :)