News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"Friends Of God" on HBO

Started by MrE2Me, January 30, 2007, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrE2Me

I stumbled across this post on Crooks & Liars, and thought you guys would be interested.  The clip they link to is pretty scary, but nothing we don't already know about.  It deals with the way evangelicals are "teaching" youth that evolution (and related science) is a myth.  One "teacher's" arguments are especially brain-dead.  I always get extra ticked off when little kids are the victims of this stuff.  :x

The official HBO page is here.

P.S.  I can't imagine driving past billboards that shout "Evolution Is A Lie!" or "Evolution Is From The Devil!" on a regular basis.  It's no wonder some of these people end up brainwashed.  

:(
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

Squid

Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that humans aren't some special creature created by some omnipotent deity.  They just can't accept that fact that we are simply really intelligent apes.

ImpaledSkier

I could not follow any of those arguments those guys were making. They know that children aren't following the "reason and logic" behind their claims and are taking advantage of that by drilling it into their heads...People scare me...
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

McQ

My opinion after watching this is that what they do borders on criminal. It is so heartbreaking to see adults willingly lie like that to kids.

Years ago, when I was a member of a Southern Baptist Church, and teaching Sunday School to the middle and high school kids, the pastor bought a "Creationism Kit". He wanted me to use it and teach Creation "Science" in Sunday School. One of the parents in the church was a professor of physics at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, and he talked with me about it before I ever even started it. I am so grateful to him, because he helped me to scientifically refute the bullshit in the kit.

I never did teach it, and we shortly left the church and moved away (long story, part of my deconversion).

Any adult that does this is either phenomenally stupid or a lying piece of shit.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MrE2Me

Quote from: "ImpaledSkier"I could not follow any of those arguments those guys were making. They know that children aren't following the "reason and logic" behind their claims and are taking advantage of that by drilling it into their heads...People scare me...
They also do their best to appeal to the childlike sensibilities of their audience.  Don't bother with facts, show them a funny picture of a monkey and ask if their grandparents looked like that.  They simplify things to the point where of course a little kid will be more likely to go for the "god" explanation, 'cause it's not as "boring."

Quote from: "McQ"My opinion after watching this is that what they do borders on criminal. It is so heartbreaking to see adults willingly lie like that to kids.
Yeah, I always wonder what these adults are really thinking inside when they put on these shows.  Are they aware, on any level, of the abuse they're committing in the name of "education"?  Ditto the parents who gladly bring their children to these "lectures."  They can't all be that stupid.
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

donkeyhoty

Well, unfortunately our educational system(the USofA) is designed to make us mindless.  I don't know if anyone's heard of John Taylor Gatto, but here's a link to some of his shiz.  http://www.noogenesis.com/game_theory/Gatto/Gatto.html

I always hated school, and never fully knew why it was so fucking boring until I read this guy.  I prefer to do my book-learnin' of my own volition.

Also, the school system is another reason religion is so pervasive, everyone is molded to think alike and believe authority.  If that authority, be it preacher, parent, or president, tells you to believe in God then most people will.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

MrE2Me

Great stuff in that link, thanks!

"Our form of compulsory schooling is an invention of the state of Massachusetts around 1850. It was resisted - sometimes with guns - by an estimated eighty per cent of the Massachusetts population, the last outpost in Barnstable on Cape Cod not surrendering its children until the 1880's when the area was seized by militia and children marched to school under guard."

I've never been more proud of my home state...   :roll:

User192021

QuoteYeah, I always wonder what these adults are really thinking inside when they put on these shows.  Are they aware, on any level, of the abuse they're committing in the name of "education"?  Ditto the parents who gladly bring their children to these "lectures."  They can't all be that stupid.
I almost wonder if it is a case of the ends justifying the means.  They know god exists, and they know it is important that these kids believe in god, so a few lies won't hurt anyone.

MrE2Me

Good point, hadn't thought of it that way.  (Sometimes it's so hard to see things from their perspective, you know?)

JebusKryst

QuoteI almost wonder if it is a case of the ends justifying the means. They know god exists, and they know it is important that these kids believe in god, so a few lies won't hurt anyone.

Ah, the end justifies the means. This is what Jehovah’s witnesses call "Religious warfare". It’s OK to lie, as long as its for the greater good.
Even as a brainwashed child, I thought this was a morally ambiguous ideal.

nummymuffin

we once had fins-get over it people!