News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

greetings earthlings

Started by theVastMinority, June 05, 2009, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theVastMinority

I stumbled along this site and thought it would be theraputic for me.  I live in the bible belt vicinity and me wife and kids are all Catholic.  We are respectful of each other's beliefs, but I don't get many opportunities to speak freely on the subject outside my own home.  Actually, this is something I find a bit annoying.  Generally speaking, folks accept others who have "faith" regardless of the church they belong to - Catholic, Jewish, etc.  However, there is a sudden "gasp" any time someone is brave enough to say they are atheist or a free-thinker.  I have faith in science and logical reasoning, but that doesn't fly in most social circles.    :brick:     Hey...I feel better already!  

Oh, I also enjoy philosophical questions like "do we really exist?", "what is right or wrong?" and "where the heck do my car keys keep disappearing to?".

curiosityandthecat

You're not the only one here in the same situation. :)
-Curio

joeactor

... I have a theory about socks, car keys and dryers involving an alternate dimension.  It's not a great place to visit, but your feet are always toasty...

Welcome!,
JoeActor

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "theVastMinority"Oh, I also enjoy philosophical questions like "do we really exist?", "what is right or wrong?" and "where the heck do my car keys keep disappearing to?".

You forgot, "Where do all of the missing halves of my pairs of socks make off too after a go through the clothes dryer?"

:headbang:

Whitney

Hey, thanks for your intro.  I'm in the bible belt too!  Texas.  At least I'm in Dallas...the cities tend to be more liberal or at least more use to having people of differing views around.

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"... I have a theory about socks, car keys and dryers involving an alternate dimension.  It's not a great place to visit, but your feet are always toasty...

Welcome!,
JoeActor

Haha! I'd like to hear your theory sometime.  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.