News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New and confused

Started by manicrabbit, June 03, 2009, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicrabbit

Hi all! I am new to this site and I was just wondering how I would classify myself. The thing is, I believe that there is a supreme being (I just do not want to name or classify him/her. I also do not want to say that there is only one or there are many.) My friends say that i am an atheist because of this. But being an atheist means that you don't believe in the existence of god, right?

My beliefs: There is/are a supreme being. I don't go to church (and perhaps I never will, and coming from a Catholic family I am considered as an anti-christ...which I am not.). I do not believe in the preaching of the priests. I do not blame god for the sh*t in my life. I believe that we are all responsible for our own actions. I have not read the Bible on my free will.

So, what am I??

JillSwift

Quote from: "manicrabbit"Hi all! I am new to this site and I was just wondering how I would classify myself. The thing is, I believe that there is a supreme being (I just do not want to name or classify him/her. I also do not want to say that there is only one or there are many.) My friends say that i am an atheist because of this. But being an atheist means that you don't believe in the existence of god, right?

My beliefs: There is/are a supreme being. I don't go to church (and perhaps I never will, and coming from a Catholic family I am considered as an anti-christ...which I am not.). I do not believe in the preaching of the priests. I do not blame god for the sh*t in my life. I believe that we are all responsible for our own actions. I have not read the Bible on my free will.

So, what am I??
Human! :D

"Theist" would be the blanket term, simply meaning to believe in a god/gods. "The-" or "Theo-" from the Greek "theós", meaning god, and "-ism" meaning belief/doctrine/action/etc. Atheist just ads the Greek "A-", meaning "without".

Welcome!
[size=50]Teleology]

curiosityandthecat

Deists believe in an anthropomorphic god that set things into motion and then kind of "stepped back," no longer becoming involved. Do you believe there is a god that has a stake in human activity, or more of an "energy" that you're labeling a god?

Ah, crap, I just realized JillSwift posted in this thre--ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
-Curio

Heretical Rants

It looks like you've figured it out, judging by your world view.

I'd like to note that many prodigious philosophers, mathematicians, politicians and authors were deists, notably Voltaire, John Locke, Thomas Jefferson, Victor Hugo, Benjamin Franklin, Sir Issac Newton(Semi-Christian Deist, on the basis that the Bible is allegorical), Mark Twain, Napoleon Bonaparte, Adam Smith, and Thomas Paine.

jcm

Quote from: "manicrabbit"Hi all! I am new to this site and I was just wondering how I would classify myself. The thing is, I believe that there is a supreme being (I just do not want to name or classify him/her. I also do not want to say that there is only one or there are many.) My friends say that i am an atheist because of this. But being an atheist means that you don't believe in the existence of god, right?

So, what am I??

I interested in why you believe what created the universe is a "who" and not a "what".

BTW, welcome! glad to have you here.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs