News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

*** SPOILER THREAD! *** BSG Final Episode

Started by joeactor, March 21, 2009, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"Hey PipeBox,

Yeah, I *want* to like it too... and I do... just not the slipshod, thown together ending.

Why leave ships around Jupiter?  Two reasons.
1) Last time they thought they were safe from the Cylons... and we know how that turned out.  Best to have options.  (but I would have brought Anders planetside).
2) HAL could discover the ships next year XD

... and yes, the goddidit thing was there thru the whole series, but they never relied on it to completely resolve issues.  The writers ended up using god as a "fill-in-the-blank" for actual plot resolutions.  (hey, that's the same thing I can't stomache about Intelligent Design!)  AND, the characters acted in manner that was not consistent with their personalities.  I just see too many "Ok, let's do that" from folks.  All of a sudden everyone agrees and accepts everything.  Might have well ended the show with "Kumbaya" as the closing song...

Meh.  I expected better.  Must be spoiled.  (tthhtthhttpptptptptp!),
JoeActor

Right, I just saw the final episode this weekend and I have a mixed bag of feelings. I guess I'll start with the bad ones...

I agree with you Joe, in that the decision made at the end by Lee to just go feral I believe would NOT have been agreed upon by the rest of the fleet (we are talking 30000+ people here aren't we?). Surely some would have at least wanted it to be put to a vote. There was however, a clip showing lots of people walking together so maybe some made communities instead of walking off on their own. These were people used to living a technological life. None of them would have had experience roughing it in the flora and fauna of old Earth. It was a bit of a suicidal decision considering the lengths they all went to to actually survive that far! Lee would last all of two days, and whilst cornered by a mountain lion, fighting off delirium from 'them berries wot I just ate' would be thinking "WTF DID WE JUST DO?" What a douche Lee turned out to be!

Adama was too hard-nosed to become a hermit although that could be my emotions ruling my brain. He was old and had been through a lot. Maybe the death of Madame President pushed him over the edge. Maybe he didn't actually plan to build a hut at all. I'd have preferred his ending to have been flying the shuttle into the side of a cliff though. It would have been hard to watch, but fitting, nonetheless. I can't accept that he never wanted to see his only son again.

Kara disappearing did disappoint me but I couldn't think of anything other than time travel as a resolution for that particular plot line. I think adding the facet of time travel right at the end would have been just as much of a cop-out though. I'm still not sure what I think of her disappearance. She should have walked off with Lee or straight into the sun with Anders.

The chief always was and always will be a douche. After killing Tori and after the ensuing fight where lots of lives were needlessly snuffed out, no one seemed to care that he did it. He could have waited until they'd finished downloading before killing Tori. The amount of huge cock-ups that character made leading to the deaths of countless people and he still got away with it! Going off on his own probably wouldn't have stopped it there... He'd probably become the reason for the extinction of the mammoths, or something equally ridiculous.

There are other niggly things I thought were questionable but after reading Ron Moore's blog, I think I can understand why he made certain decisions. I can certainly empathise with him. It must be a difficult position to be in. So far it looks as though fans are split down the middle.

The reasons I liked it are:

A really amazing Sci-Fi worthy finale choc full of blowy upy things and dog-fights in space 'n' stuff...
I liked Boomer getting what was deserved. I also like the fact Tori didn't get away with killing Callie. I liked Callie  :)

All-in-all I loved it all from the moment the pilot episode aired. Simply a magnificent piece of creative story telling filled to the brim with talent and emotion. Many of the last scenes we saw teary-eyed people saying their various goodbyes. I thought many looked real. Afterall, they had all spent a large amount of time working with each other. It's nice to see that come out on film. I'm already missing it like a lost limb or loved one.

:hail:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

VanReal

You guys are too funny with all of the emotional thought about this.  I thought the whole "going native" thing was pretty simple: their old way of living didn't work in the colonies, it didn't work on Earth, and didn't work on New Caprica, this was their last chance so they needed to make dramatic changes.  I don't think people would have put up much of a fight, they'd been living in a less than appealing manner on the ships for a while so this was better than that.

I did worry about letting the "red stripes" go, but I suppose we can hope that they felt less abused after being painted and allowed to fight.....hmm other than the paint seems like they did exactly what the others did, oh well.

Like Joe I thought about the Daniel thing also....he was an artist, Kara was an artist, we never saw Daniel's copies because the fluid was tainted, hmmmm.

I felt like the Angels were more of the "watchers" than real participants in things, kind of like how on Highlander they were meant to observe and document and not interefere.  Although Baltar had his weasel nose in everything....

Yes, Cavil's suicide makes absolutely no sense at all, I've tivo'ed and tivo'ed and tivo'ed and can't figure it out.  Maybe he figured they were all going to do each other in and he'd go on his own, or maybe they just needed him out of the way to move the story along.

Adama sitting on the cliff by dead Laura didn't bother me.  He had changed a lot through the end of the show, he was spent and wanted to spend his last days with his love.  I'm betting he didn't last long out there without his liquor though, he turned into Thai over the last two seasons, hehe.

Anyway, it's dissapointing that it's gone, I think they had too many story lines to wrap up and just had to show the ending whether it was going to be complete or not.    It's certainly the first series in a long time I've managed to stay with from beginning to end, so that's good enough for me.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

karadan

Quote from: "VanReal"Yes, Cavil's suicide makes absolutely no sense at all, I've tivo'ed and tivo'ed and tivo'ed and can't figure it out.  Maybe he figured they were all going to do each other in and he'd go on his own, or maybe they just needed him out of the way to move the story along.

Yeah, it didn't really make any sense. According to Ron Moore, Dean Stockwell (the dude who played Cavil) called him before the last episodes were filmed and suggested Cavil kill himself. Apparently Dean Stockwell thought that is how Cavil would want to go. I guess everyone else disagrees. :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

BadPoison

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "VanReal"Yes, Cavil's suicide makes absolutely no sense at all, I've tivo'ed and tivo'ed and tivo'ed and can't figure it out.  Maybe he figured they were all going to do each other in and he'd go on his own, or maybe they just needed him out of the way to move the story along.

Yeah, it didn't really make any sense. According to Ron Moore, Dean Stockwell (the dude who played Cavil) called him before the last episodes were filmed and suggested Cavil kill himself. Apparently Dean Stockwell thought that is how Cavil would want to go. I guess everyone else disagrees. :)

Considering how the internet has reacted to Cavil's suicide, I wouldn't be surprised if they work something into "The Plan" to explain more of it.

karadan

Quote from: "BadPoison"
Quote from: "karadan"

Considering how the internet has reacted to Cavil's suicide, I wouldn't be surprised if they work something into "The Plan" to explain more of it.

I found it quite odd when Ron Moore suggested they hadn't even written a plot for 'the plan' even though that is what it said before every episode. The fact they are/have thrown together an episode to cover this seems like a slightly awkward thing to do. I really hope it keeps the same level of intensity of the series but i fear it will lose most of the momentum which made the series great.

Hope i'm wrong tho.

VanReal

Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse I find out that Caprica isn't even a show and/or series, it's a "exclusively on DVD" event.....bummer  :unsure:
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

karadan

Quote from: "VanReal"Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse I find out that Caprica isn't even a show and/or series, it's a "exclusively on DVD" event.....bummer  :(

I thought it was very good. I liked how it showed the earliest form of cylon centurion and how the AI came to be.

If you haven't seen it, you can DL it from eztv.it

VanReal

I guess I need to watch it because I saw the advertisement come on that said "exclusivly for DVD....Caprica" and I was like what??  I guess I should have re-winded, that being the entire point of U-verse but sometimes I forget.  I hope that my ears were playing tricks on me but I swear that's what I heard.

karadan

Quote from: "VanReal"I guess I need to watch it because I saw the advertisement come on that said "exclusivly for DVD....Caprica" and I was like what??  I guess I should have re-winded, that being the entire point of U-verse but sometimes I forget.  I hope that my ears were playing tricks on me but I swear that's what I heard.

It's ok. I just found out from a colleague that they are filming the TV series right now. The pilot will be released on DVD with a bunch of extras.

Panic over :)

VanReal

Whew!  Crisis over.  They should be more careful with things like that:)  Well, they started Battlestar as a mini-series so I guess that makes sense.  Thanks Karadan!