News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "PipeBox"
Quote from: "joeactor"How could I forget to list "Portal"?
Still Alive starts playing in head

... anyone for some Cake:
[youtube:3czv9hew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwoqVdZkefk[/youtube:3czv9hew]

YouTube Crazy,
JoeActor

You made that? That was utterly brilliant!!

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks for a super excellent thread Curio. I won't list all my previous consoles and games because that would just be silly. I am definitely touching 40 hours a week at the moment (i seem to be able to hold down a full time job too...) mainly because i have no girlfriend taking up all my time hehe :)
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
GTA IV

For anyone interested, my XBOX LIVE handle is Karadan although i have not been playing much of late - Eve seems to take up all my time :rant: The less said about that, the better.

I've got a few funny screenies lying around at home (i'm at work at the moment) which i'll post later - this seems to be the relevant place to do so.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

joeactor

Quote from: "karadan"You made that? That was utterly brilliant!.

Thank you (takes a bow)!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Portal inspired me, then I started looking into "Machinima" (making movies using video game software).
Pretty kool stuff out there - amazing how much power we've got on our desktops.

When I've got a demo version of the game I'm coding, I'll be sure to post it for y'all to try.
Should be a pretty unique concept (hush hush).

Happy Monday Gamers,
JoeActor

karadan

Portal inspired me, then I started looking into "Machinima" (making movies using video game software).

When I've got a demo version of the game I'm coding, I'll be sure to post it for y'all to try.

Happy Monday Gamers,
JoeActor

You're welcome! Alas, i'm not creative enough to think up a concept then make a movie. For now, i'm just happy to watch other people's efforts. I've been subscribed to Machinima for a while now and i'm really enjoying the Freeman's Mind episodes. They are very funny, especially to someone like me who is nuts for anything Half Life.

I've added you as a friend on YT, if that's ok?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

4DeepThought2

Xbox live: Poon38, for any one who wants a go at my ridiculous GOW2 or COD4 skills ;)

Use to play a lot, but haven't for a while.
Xbox (Games I still play):

Gears of War 2
Call of Duty 4
Half Life 2
Portal

PC:

Starcraft
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him." - Arthur C. Clarke

quizlixx

Quote from: "karadan"

Happy Monday Gamers,
JoeActor

You're welcome! Alas, i'm not creative enough to think up a concept then make a movie. For now, i'm just happy to watch other people's efforts. I've been subscribed to Machinima for a while now and i'm really enjoying the Freeman's Mind episodes. They are very funny, especially to someone like me who is nuts for anything Half Life.

I've added you as a friend on YT, if that's ok?
favorite quote from Freeman's Mind. . ."oooh, don't step in the blood!"
 :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Kevin

Quote from: "4DeepThought2"Xbox live: Poon38, for any one who wants a go at my ridiculous GOW2 or COD4 skills ;)

Like everyone thinks they're good at COD4
I don't want to sound arrogant, but I know I'm good.
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

AlP

QuoteActually, I've always been curious (I know, right?) about how one breaks into the business. I'm crap at design--photography is my area--and I can't program, but I've always wondered who does the story writing and scenario design. Thoughts?

Breaking into the business is hard for some people. I think it's easiest for programmers. Get a degree in computer science or software engineering,  do additional research in video game technology and maybe put together a demo game. At the other end of the spectrum you have game designers. They're very talented but they generally have to start out as junior level builders or QA testers and work their way up the ranks.

Story writing and scenario design is the domain of a senior game designer or someone with a title of that sort. The major disciplines in video games development are:

Animator
Artist (either texture or modeling or both)
Audio engineer
Designer
Producer
Programmer
Tester

And other supporting roles.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

rlrose328

I was doing fine, messing around on Facebook in the few hours I'm not studying... and the hubby downloads WoW with a free trial.  Now... I was gaming on The Sierra Network before the web is what it is.  Dialing into a local SprintNet number, paying $2/hr (in the evening... $7/hr during the day!) to access the service, play games in a graphical interface.  It was WAY before it's time.  Became The ImagiNation Network, then WorldPlay on AOL, a few more changes and now, it's Pogo.

Anyway, I wracked up over $3000 in bills before I finally became a Sysop in 1992.  Wow... that's a long time ago.  I KNOW I get obsessed with RPGs and so does the hubby... he MET me on that network in late 1992.

Well... he got me an account and wow, I've missed many study hours over the past week.  I have no self-control when it comes to RPGs... none at all.  Luckily, it's on a dedicated desktop downstairs and my "work" laptop is upstairs, so never the twain shall meet... but still... I hear it calling me... right now...  :eek:   I'd be on it 24/7 if I could.

Other than WoW, I prefer sim games... Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sims, Urbz, Zoo Tycoon, etc.  I love the managing aspect, making sure everything gets built or accomplished.  Haven't played any of those in awhile, except for Urbz on the DS.  Oh, and of course, Pokemon on any platform.   :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

quizlixx

i love RPG's myself, but i hate the social stigma that is associated with many of them, one amazing game is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but some people aren't even willing to try it. and another thing. World of Warcraft. FANTASTIC game, TERRIBLE stigma attached to it. people will hide the fact that they play that game, hell, even i don't go shouting it from the rooftops. I'm not sure how accurately this translates to the "real" world, but in high school, that will get you marked for life.
sure is fun though
and dead space is a masterpiece of a game, if you haven't bought it yet, go out right now and buy it, now. it's amazing. :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

rlrose328

Have any of you watched "The Guild"?  Especially those who play WoW and WoW-like games...

http://www.watchtheguild.com/

It's KILLER funny!  :beer:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"and dead space is a masterpiece of a game, if you haven't bought it yet, go out right now and buy it, now. it's amazing. :D
It really is, you're right. Fantastic game. If you're interested, the art director is on Twitter.
-Curio

karadan

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "quizlixx"and dead space is a masterpiece of a game, if you haven't bought it yet, go out right now and buy it, now. it's amazing. :)

quizlixx

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "quizlixx"and dead space is a masterpiece of a game, if you haven't bought it yet, go out right now and buy it, now. it's amazing. :)
it is insanely gory, but they present it in such a way that it doesn't distract from the game, it enhances it. you feel like something would be lacking without all the gore. buy it. now. not kidding, go to wal-mart right now and buy it. if you cant get it, i'll mail it to you.

ACSlater

I don't think I can call myself much of a gamer since it takes me forever to commit to beating a game. Anywho, I will say that I have an NES, SNES, Dreamcast (actually my wife's old console), and PS2.

As far as the NES goes, I think you do need belief in a higher power to get it to work.  :brick:

It's like a ritual getting that thing to load the games properly. Hahaha. It's fun to play it when it does work.

I've been playing older Guitar Hero games ( I've gone backwards from GH: Aerosmith to the first one because until "Aerosmith" I was artistically against it being a musician. ) and GTA. One day, I'll get around to owning a Wii or something.

Happy gaming everyone!

Godless

I am actually going to do a computer game retrospective for my computer graphics class. At first, I was going to cover all of gaming, but I found out that I could only make my video about 5 minutes long and there is no way in hell that I can cover that much information in 5 minutes, so I decided to narrow it down to just computer gaming, which is really my preferred platform. I've never used Adobe Premiere before so I'm going to have to learn as I go. Stay tuned for my video in a month or two  ;)