News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

*annoyed face* why is it

Started by mDarkPoet, December 29, 2008, 10:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mDarkPoet

That the larger a forum is the ruder its people get? Not referring to this one of course, I joined another one because I had a few questions to ask and felt I'd get answers there. I got criticized for posting a few topics, is that not what a forum is for? It baffled me, it's not like I posted 20, I posted about 4 different topics, each in the right section, with a direct question that I did not see asked there.

*sighs* bleh  :|

Msblue

I have no idea why but, I agree with you. I lurked at a few while considering joining. I only joined here.

McQ

I've noticed something similar with larger forums, especially in the photography forums that I frequent. I've only found one that is really great and where people are respectful. That forum happens to be heavily moderated and has very strict rules in place, but people are asked to read them in advance so they know where the lines are drawn.

It's tough, especially in "Free-thought" forums, to provide a balance of openness and civility and respect. I'm glad you find this forum appealing. We've had our moments, but from day one this has been the brainchild and vision of a very special person who gives it its personality.

:)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Wechtlein Uns

Do rude forums draw more users?  :eek:

I don't think so. But I can't help wondering why, if larger forums are more rude... well, example: I went to Athiestforums.net and joined there, but that was a big mistake. There was a lot of anger on those forums. I'm glad I've found this one.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

mDarkPoet

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Do rude forums draw more users?  :eek:

I don't think so. But I can't help wondering why, if larger forums are more rude... well, example: I went to Athiestforums.net and joined there, but that was a big mistake. There was a lot of anger on those forums. I'm glad I've found this one.
Not necessarily, I think that forums start off small and polite, mostly everyone is friendly, then, as a forum grows, it draws more people and a greater chance of drawing people who think that being assholes online is cool.

In every large forum that I have participated in, there has been a few people who are assholes for absolutely no reason.

Example, I was on dreammoods.com a long while back when I was younger and I got constantly belittled and picked on because of my god damn musical preferences. Then I joined a photography forum looking for tips and just got beaten down, I mean where is the respect? Or is respect too much to ask anymore?

SSY

I had always assumed it was to do with being somehwat faceless. On a forum with thousands of active members, even the most vociferous poster will still be a tiny presence. When you are likley to blend in, people have less disincentive to be rude.

Here, where everyone know the main posters, alienating a couple of them would mean that now a large part of the forum dislike you, thus limiting your enjoyment of said forum.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

mDarkPoet

curiosityandthecat

Anonymity allow peoples' true colors to shine through. Larger group = more anonymity (even if only because one's name doesn't show up as often). There's little accountability when being drown in a sea of voices. In a place like HAF, there is a relative small number of "regulars" who are easily identified. It's why I like this place.  :lol:
-Curio

thirteen31

I'm new to this site and I can agree with being shunned from other forums. I hope I can become a part of this community without being judged. From what I have seen so far, it seems fairly calm to what I've encountered in the past and for this reason I joined. :beer: