News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

hello...

Started by none, November 07, 2008, 11:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

none

hello
I am an an non-thiest, and I  believe that there are no god(s) of any kind that exist outside the parameters of thought i.e. god(s) or the concept of god(s) is a concieved idea (the reason for this is still up for debate with me but I tend to think it has to do with mankinds inability to accept responsibility for actions against other members of mankind).
with that being said
I asked myself 3 questions about a year ago after pondering GEN 1:1 for about 4 years
did god exist for a duration before time?
does god exist for a duration now?
will god exist for a duration after time?
I conclude basically if god existed before time for a duration then time existed because duration is a portion of time, therefore god couldn't have created time and has limited creative ability and something similar happens with the after time question; I also questioned again and replaced god in my question with the word nothing and came to the same conclusion that time was not created, it just is.
blank.

Whitney

Hi none, welcome to the forum.

I think it is interesting that whether you believe in a god or not you essentially end up with the answer about existance being "it just is."  The one main difference between believers and non-believers is one group doesn't add an additional unkown to the equation.

curiosityandthecat

Agreed. Welcome to the forum!  :D
-Curio

McQ

Welcome to the forum. Nice set of questions. Although I haven't thought about them before, they are a good philosophical set and something cool to ponder. Thanks for sharing them and jumping right in.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Titan

Since space and time had an original starting point, something outside those dimensions isn't held to the same causal implications. God wouldn't (from a Christian perspective) have existed for a duration of time. He would be eternal.

Welcome to the forum none, but I'm pretty sure that scientists, astrophysicists in particular, would hold that time and space had a starting point.

Anyone here know more about physics in this regard?
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Kyuuketsuki

Welcome to the fourm

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

PipeBox

Hiyas, good set of questions.

Titan, I know a fair bit.  Cosmology is an interest of mine, and times are crazy right now.  Dark flow, unrecognized distant space objects, the stacking evidence against the Big Bang theory, M Theory providing a source for the universe's origin.  I'm not an expert and I don't carry a degree in these topics, but I seem to hold more of an interest than most folks and by extension, more information accumulated by researching those interests, than your typical person.  I could make a thread in Science later, full of linky goodness, and a bit of explanation from the stuff I can't link to (Like Parallel Worlds, by Michio Kaku, which is very much worth the read).

Anyway, welcome to the forum, none, and apologies for making a ruckus.   :D
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Titan

Absolutely, I would love to hear more about the M theory.
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

none

M theroy dosen't make sense to me as it implies or is suggesting multiple universes.
universe would mean all, all that is.
if there was something outside the universe then that would be a contradiction of the unified existence of all that is (maybe we could be in a verse but not universe).
hence my initial disbelief of M theroy.
I may be mistaken but thats my 2 cents.
blank.

rlrose328

Welcome!  Have a good time here!  Lots of philosophical questions being bandied about.  :-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!