News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

In a political vein...

Started by MikeyV, August 29, 2006, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyV

Has anyone seen this test? I saw it over on IIDB today.

As a nonscientific experiment, would you take it and post your scores?

For starters, mine are:

Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.36

Interesting reading on the site...the FAQ was enlightening.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Court

The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

Those two statements made me emotionally ill, I disagree so much. :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Erinos

Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

Marijuana should be legalized
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

MikeyV

Quote from: "Court"The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

I kind of find them of equal importance, but in different ways. While I admire literary and artistic talent and enjoy looking at the fruits of their labors, business people and manufacturers provide jobs, products and services, so all can economically benefit. Unfortunately, the wording of the test makes you pick one or the other, so I think the greatest benefit is the economical one.

Quote from: "Court"
Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

That statement made me queasy also.
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MikeyV

Quote from: "Erinos"Marijuana should be legalized

I am of the opinion that ALL drugs should be legalized. Contrary to the rhetoric from the "moral" right, I still wouldn't use them if they were legal. I enjoy my brain too much.
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

joeactor

Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69

Can't tell if I'm closer to Ghandi or Nelson Mandela...

Woody

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67

Looks like I fall somewhere between Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama.   :lol:

MommaSquid

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

Looks like I'm standing next to Woody.

Whitney

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56

Tom62

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.90
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Court

Quote from: "MikeyV"
Quote from: "Court"The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

I kind of find them of equal importance, but in different ways. While I admire literary and artistic talent and enjoy looking at the fruits of their labors, business people and manufacturers provide jobs, products and services, so all can economically benefit. Unfortunately, the wording of the test makes you pick one or the other, so I think the greatest benefit is the economical one.

I once heard from an Poli Sci teacher something that particularly stuck with me: If you want to oppress a people, you have to start with free thought. If you really want to gain power, you must control the artist and the writer. You have to completely control the art and literature, because that is humanity. Once you strip a society of its humanity, and therefore its ability and desire to think for itself, you have completed the most important step to building a totalitarian government worth its salt. Economic progress is not the most important part of a society. Individual empathy and emotion are far more important. Without that, you lose what it is to be human.
A la 1984.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

joeactor

Quote from: "Court"I once heard from an Poli Sci teacher something that particularly stuck with me: If you want to oppress a people, you have to start with free thought. If you really want to gain power, you must control the artist and the writer. You have to completely control the art and literature, because that is humanity. Once you strip a society of its humanity, and therefore its ability and desire to think for itself, you have completed the most important step to building a totalitarian government worth its salt. Economic progress is not the most important part of a society. Individual empathy and emotion are far more important. Without that, you lose what it is to be human.
A la 1984.

I like that thought...  A society without art and literature is "soulless" for lack of a better word.

I myself am split down the middle:
Crunchy Wheat: Compu-Geek
Yummy Frosting: Actor

Balance in individuals, and in society, is an essential philosophy for me...

JNTB

As always with any questionnaire I had a few problems with how things are worded. Too many absolutes, but what are you going to do? Here is my result. According to the survey, I am a little to the right of Gandhi.
Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501(c)(3) tax-free status.